Reflex sights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
pistol red dot, RMRs, or whatever they are called.... I've not been interested in owning one of these setups until now. I want one of the FN 509 tacticals.... so.... educate me with your experiences.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a lot of real training with iron sights, it's going to be difficult, IMO, to get used to the reflex. Pistols irons naturally come up eye level and having to lower the irons line of sight to acquire the dot is awkward. Some people love it, I hated it.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
pistol red dot, RMRs, or whatever they are called.... I've not been interested in owning one of these setups until now. I want one of the FN 509 tacticals.... so.... educate me with your experiences.

Slide mounted RMR's are honestly a personal preference. Some love them, some hate them. All the RMR's that I have personally owned / used are frame mounted.

If budget is no object the Trijicon RMR or Leupold Deltapoint would be high on my list. The Vortex dots (Venom, Viper) as well as the Burris Fastfire III are also excellent choices at a lesser cost. I'm a huge C-More fan, but I have no firsthand experience with their STS models.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a lot of real training with iron sights, it's going to be difficult, IMO, to get used to the reflex. Pistols irons naturally come up eye level and having to lower the irons line of sight to acquire the dot is awkward. Some people love it, I hated it.

I dunno what is a lot or what is "real" but I've taken courses with Marshall Lutton and some others here in Tulsa. I'm very used to irons so I may be just like you. I definitely won't be carrying this gun, more of a fun project to see if I like it.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you've taken classes with TDSA then you've taken some real training. LOL. Like others have said, some love them, some hate them, I hate them.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_0369.jpg
IMG_0855.jpg
It does take a while to get used to it. Have to do many presentations to get the dot in your field of view since it's a hair higher than iron sights.

I started with an M&P performance center with RMR. Ran it at 1 run and gun and it was so easy it was cheating. I sold the pistol and went to a CZ P-09 with irons. Few years go by and then lot of other guys started runing dots on their pistols so I had my slide cut to add one on the 09.

I was always a good pistol shot, do dry fire plenty to stay that way. Adding a red dot just makes you much faster. Only have the dot to focus on instead of front then rear sight, which helps when your eyes are getting older. When you are really running you can do both eyes open and it's crazy fast or close your off eye and get pin point accuracy.

It took a while with practice to get used to it, but damn they are nice.

Ask me anything and I'll give as much info as possible. I've added another's RMR to my TSO also.

I like the RMR as that's what I have. However few guys really like the Deltapoint as it has a larger window. @Nick710 will have some insight as well

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Burris FF3 on a G34 MOS. The optic was fine for the short time I had it. I'm like EF9, I hate them. Always fishing for that damn dot. It's not fast like it looks without tons of practice. However someone who runs them and has trained with them are very fast with them and probably faster, but it's a completely different world.

I'm a TDSA graduate too and I'm sticking to irons for as long as my eyes let me, then I'll switch over to dots.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I get the comments about iron vs reflex and to be honest I agree. Heck I only have one red dot installed on my ARs right now. However, I want to see what this is about. I had shot a buddy's FNX45 tactical a few years back and it was fun. Now this has come out....

Looks like the Triji RMR is a favorite going by a few forums..... no surprise.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The first issue is fishing for the dot. The second issue is that dot moves like a mother. Pistols don't have the 3rd point of contact to your body for stability.

I'll stick with traditional pistol sights. Hell, I even like irons over a red dot on an AR :P

Latest posts

Top Bottom