Reflex sights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The first issue is fishing for the dot. The second issue is that dot moves like a mother. Pistols don't have the 3rd point of contact to your body for stability.

I'll stick with traditional pistol sights. Hell, I even like irons over a red dot on an AR :P

This is very true. I was shooting GSSF matches with my G34 in Unlimited. I was also shooting higher scores on the same course of fire with my G17L with a Dawson tritium front and plain black competition rear. GSSF indoor league does have a time component, but it's not part of your score, your score is purely based on hits. I was scoring higher with irons so I traded the G34 off.

I do like me some Aimpoint on my ARs tho...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
pistol red dot, RMRs, or whatever they are called.... I've not been interested in owning one of these setups until now. I want one of the FN 509 tacticals.... so.... educate me with your experiences.
If you have a lot of real training with iron sights, it's going to be difficult, IMO, to get used to the reflex. Pistols irons naturally come up eye level and having to lower the irons line of sight to acquire the dot is awkward. Some people love it, I hated it.
Shot Irons all my life. ef9turbo's point of having to lower the irons line of sight to acquire the dot is the major issue. Real major issue that can only be overcome with mucho practice.
I've recently had to go to everything red dot due to some macular eye degeneration that prevents me from shooting with both eyes open.
Fortunately my strong eye is not effected.
All that being said, a dot with lots of practice hits a lot of a zones.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I first tried the red dot, I hated it. Fast forward to today, my EDC is a G19 with Leupold Delta Point Pro. I love it, but like everything else, it takes practice. After several reps and knowing the right technique it doesn't take long. If you throw the gun up and look for the dot, you will be "fishing" for it. The trick is to present the gun just like you do with iron sights and the dot will be there. And yes the dot moves, but so do your iron sights, it's just easier to see with the dot. Keep your arc of movement of the dot within the target area then press the trigger. With me, after I got used to it, my hits were the same speed as iron sights but way more accurate. If I'd ever practice, my hits would speed up....... An ADVANTAGE to the red dot is that if you are jerking the trigger, the red dot MAGNIFIES it, kind of making it a self training tool. YMMV

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've had a reflex sight on one pistol, a Mark III. I had no problem switching from iron sights and it was very accurate.

I wouldn't mind trying on on a centerfire pistol someday.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Steel Challenge and USPSA pistols.
The Bushnell on the Mark III Hunter comes immediately to the eye, the Trijicon on the M&P I have to roll my muzzle down to acquire the dot.
It’s tough switching back and forth.

07651d701d2e38a55a4baad6062758dc.jpg

Nick710

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to an RDS on my pistol a little over 2 years ago. I had an epiphany when I was working at the Fallen Brethren 3 gun match. Leupold was there and had a booth set up with a G17 with a DeltaPoint Pro attached. Hitting targets a long way out there was easy! I was hooked. It will take many repetitions to pick up the dot quickly. But now, I'm just as fast with the dot as I am with irons. My 59 year old eyes have a hard time focusing on the front sight, the dot is easy once you get the hang of it.. My EDC now is a G19 with a DPP attached. Fixing to work it our real good in a couple of upcoming courses. (Jeff Gonzales - Advanced Concealed Carry and Gabe White - Pistol shooting solutions.)

Attachments

• IMAG6320.jpg
    IMAG6320.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 118

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My main carry is a G23 with an RMR. Shooting under stress in competitions showed me that I simply could not make myself concentrate on the front sight under stress. Target fixation was guaranteed with me. So it would be the same in real life. So I went with a reflex on my carry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom