Rekindled my relationship with a Springfield XD-S today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The folks I usually shoot with weren't around this morning so after it warmed up around noon I went out to the gun range with my Springfield XD-S 9mm. This one was built in January of this year and is the XD-S model and not the newly released XD-S Mod 2 9mm with Grip Zone changes.

I have owned a couple of these XD-S models over the past few years but always ended up trading them for something else (usually S&W revolvers) before I shot them much, if at all. I picked this one up this past spring and hadn't taken the time to do much than just test it out and clean it up before storing it, so decided to shoot it for a while today.

I recently got rid of a Kahr CM9 because it wasn't pleasant to my hand. That wasn't an issue with the XD-S today as the slightly larger gun felt comfortable while shooting and afterward. I liked the accuracy and lack of recoil and had no issue with the trigger, although I have seen some folks comment they don't particularly care for the stock trigger.

It feels much lighter then the Springfield XD Mod 2 Subcompact 9mm that I also own, but in fairness the XD SC has 13 and 16 capacity mags so that would account for the added weight. I don't know the actual weight difference, but it is definitively noticeable to me.

I put 120 fun rounds into the gun today (8 series of shooting the 7 and 8 round mags) with no issues, but that is what I have come to expect from Springfield. I have never had a FTF or ejection issue with any of the Springfield line. I have fired brass and aluminum new factory ammo with no difference between the two, but haven't tried any of the cheaper steel stuff and won't.

Weather depending, when I take the XD-S out the next few times I go shoot I guess I will see if my impressions today continue or if today was influenced by the perfect confluence of a comfortable and cooperative gun, beautiful sunny 70 degree mid-November weather, and the pleasure of just relaxing away from work and a cell phone.

Thanks for reading and a safe and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom