Reloading 38Spl w/ W231 - dipper vs auto trickler vs Uniflow III

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aabokla

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm reloading 38 special with Winchester 231 and looking for a better way to throw powder. My recipe calls for 4.0gr. I've got a new RCBS Uniflow Powder III and it throws 3.5 to 4.2. No baffle in the Uniflow. My scale is the one that came with the RCBS Rebel kit. Since the scale came with the kit....I'm guessing it's not great? With the Uniflow III, RCBS does not offer a smaller drum as they consider the new model capable of covering both lite and heavy charges.

After throwing with the Uniflow III, I was weighing each charge and trickle adjusting which took forever and ended up getting powder everywhere. Also it seems that if the distance between the trickler stem and powder cup is too far apart and I spin the handle too fast powder bounces out.

Per Hodgdon the minimum charge is 3.8 (876fps) and the max is 4.8 (1,071fps). These rounds will be for cowboy action shooting events, and I'm concerned about squibs at 3.5grs. During an event I might not notice the squib until the 2nd round.

Would I be better served (faster and more accurate) getting a beam scale and using Lee style dippers or take the plunge and move to a Lyman Gen 6 or RCBS Chargemaster Link? Or something else?

My concern with the Gen 6 or CM is how they do with such a small charge and does W231 tend to "bounce" out of the cup when dispensed? If I could get to +/- .1 of a grain that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what’s causing your issue but I’m going to guess technique is the culprit and not equipment. I’ve been using a Uniflow for decades and have never had such an issue. Consistent movement of the charging handle is important for the best results. I have noticed anything under 2.5-3.0 grains in my dispenser will cause the drum to hang up from time to time. I also use a beam scale and add a mark 1/10 a grain above and below and call that good enough. Different powders will throw better than others but W231 is one of the more forgiving IMO. You never mention what size bullet you’re using but 3.5 grains is on the low end of normal in my book.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Is there a baffle available for the RCBS measure?

I had some consistency issues with my older Lyman measures till i put a baffle in them.
Other than that try playing around with how you manipulate the measure when you throw your charges and make sure the powder settles the same between each throw.
If you can't get the RCBS to throw a consistent light charge you may need to try another brand/style.

red442joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't exactly help with your equipment, but what you are asking for is certainly not impossible.
For example, I am loading 115 grain lead in 380 with 2.9-3.2 grains of HP38. I am loading on a Lee Pro1000 with Lee Powder Discs. I am able to hold exactly the charge weight I want.

Joe

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
1677275665101.png
Lee perfect powder measure, is cheap and after initial setup is accurate ...

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A baffle can be made from cardboard and really helps.
You need to put one in it.
I have always had a beam scale and trust it 100% it is the 505.

One other thing with pistol cases is Wall thickness and brand.
For shooting tight groups I do not mix brands and i like to keep all of the cases with the same wall thickness together.

45 colt brass was the worst for dimensional changes between brands.

I like my Lee dippers and I do really like the older Lee disc measure.
It will drop bullseye powder right on the tenth every time.
I just went and ran some W231 through it and it dropped 5.4 gr 4 times and then dropped 5.35 gr and then 2 more at 5.4 and I called it quits.

I use the older Lee auto disc measure that is rectangular without the elastomer wiper.
I did fine tune it though by polishing and enlarging the drop hole and filing down the aluminum platform that the hopper sits on so there is a very tight clearance between disc and hopper.

NO powders between disc and hopper.
I have an older RCBS uniflow and I polished it also and built a baffle and it worked way better.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what’s causing your issue but I’m going to guess technique is the culprit and not equipment. I’ve been using a Uniflow for decades and have never had such an issue. Consistent movement of the charging handle is important for the best results. I have noticed anything under 2.5-3.0 grains in my dispenser will cause the drum to hang up from time to time. I also use a beam scale and add a mark 1/10 a grain above and below and call that good enough. Different powders will throw better than others but W231 is one of the more forgiving IMO. You never mention what size bullet you’re using but 3.5 grains is on the low end of normal in my book.
imho also to the above. a little off your charge of w231 likely won't even notice it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom