Reloading .40s&w

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I said I wouldn’t get back into .40s&w ever because I didn’t see a point in it since I shoot and reload both 9mm and .45acp…

However…I eventually want to get a 10mm someday so .40s&w kinda makes sense to own too since I’d be able to share bullets (I believe) and possibly powder?

How is the caliber to reload and I guess I really kind of want to ask the benefits of the .40 over the 9mm and why maybe some of you use .40 over 9mm. I’m not looking to replace my 9mm or my .45acp by any means, just thinking maybe I’m gonna want some more variety.. I looked into .357sig but that is definitely one caliber I don’t think I’ll ever be interested in.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
9mm = light bullet, fast speed.
45 ACP = big bullet, slow speed.
40 = in the middle.

Many 40 cal toys can be converted to 9mm, at least in Glock land so there's cheap versatility.

Since a lot of people crap on 40 these days components seem easier to find too.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reloading .40 is very easy. Of the 3 you mention it's likely the easiest.

.45 has SSP and LPP brass to sort snd crimped .mil brass still shows up.

9mm has stepped brass (that I just toss) and it also has a lot of crimped primers.

.40 is a good caliber, it just doesn't bring anything to the table that 9mm doesn't have these days. Yesteryear was different.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got into 40 because I got one of my favorite pistols cheap in 40 and it is a Hi-Point.
I did not care for the abrupt kick vs the 45 acp and I really do not like the abrupt "Kick" of a 9MM either.
Just those are loaded to a higher pressure and the 9's I have shot were very light almost toyish to me.
I just like the Hi-Point 45.

I could not get my 40 to shoot more accurate than my 45 so no benefit there.
I have killed a deer at 47 paces with the 45 and pretty sure anybullet from a 9 or 40 would have done the same killing put into the same spot.

No reason to get a 40 if you want a 10.

I had a 357 magnum 6" revolver before I had or shot any semi auto.
Recoil is smooth and accuracy is super in the 357 magnum.

Took a long time before I got a semi auto and only reason was because it was cheap.
I did shoot some friends CZ52 and Glock 9 but did not like the 9 at all.

I should have bought some of those CZ's when he did. $75 each.
I actually enjoyed shooting it.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that if you already shoot 9 and 45, and soon 10mm, there’s not much of a point in getting into .40. You’re buying another handgun (or three) and spending time developing another load or two for a cartridge you only have due to using the same bullet. I could see it being worthwhile or a cost saver if maybe you were to phase out 9 or 45. Otherwise you’re just wasting money in my opinion.

Although… There’s a catch. You could be like me, and buy a Smith and Wesson 610. Then, you have a 10mm revolver that you can shoot 40 out of for cheaper practice.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Bersa mini-firestorm in .40 and grit my teeth every time one of the keltec carbines in .40 pop up for sale now and then. So tempting. Got everything to start reloading except boolits so just need to figure out what is the most common grain boolit to run.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started with a .40 during the 2012-2014 Sandyhook crunch. When the FBI said that 9mm was just as good and everyone started dumping their .40s for 9mms, I went crazy.

As NIB H&H USP for $407...NIB demo M&P Pro for $385... 50 Round boxes of Winchester Ranger for $15 or Federal HST for $19...those were the good days. I became poor again for a few months. SIG P226s, Beretta 96s etc... will do that to you.

As it is I'm stockpiled with .40 stuff for a while. I'm just fortunate that I can shoot one as well as I can a 9mm.

Yes, reloading is basically interchangeable with 10mm as far as bullets, (most powders), and even dies like my RCBS if you don't mind resetting them each time. Brass, and in most cases, primers aren't.

Latest posts

Top Bottom