Reloading .410

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My nephew has everything to reload 410 except powder and shot and I want to help him get started reloading for it. I've reloaded 30-06, but have no ideas for the little shotgun. What is a good powder and shot for this? How much of each? Thanks.

Good rule for reloading is to never trust anyone but yourself for load data. Get a shotgun reloading manual or at least one of the powder company brochures which publish loads.

Ever wondered why the .410 has such a thick chamber? It's because they generate a lot more chamber pressure than other shotguns. So just because the shell is small, don't fool around with guesswork.

I am curious as to what "everything to reload .410" consists of. CB

hubmonkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Although .410 does generate a little more pressure, it is not really that much more. It's not like you are doubling the pressure.

What you need to sucessfully reload .410 multiple times is to start with good hulls. If he is wanting to reload 2 1/2" he needs to use the Remington STS Hulls or the AAHS hulls.

Shot size depends on what he is doing. If it is for clay games then #9 shot is the key.

Shotshell reloading manuals are a must for new users. Lyman's 5th Edition is pretty much the shotshell reloading bible.

Powder is limited for the .410 depnding on what Hull you use. If you are local I can let you borrow my Lymans.

Hub

CompIllitR8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I'm not sure what brand of hulls he has, I'll check. He bought a box of pre-primed hulls, a box of plastic wads, and a lee loader. I already have scales and dippers and a Lee 2nd edition Modern Reloading. The Lee book doesn't have much that I've found for shotguns.

hubmonkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I'm not sure what brand of hulls he has, I'll check. He bought a box of pre-primed hulls, a box of plastic wads, and a lee loader. I already have scales and dippers and a Lee 2nd edition Modern Reloading. The Lee book doesn't have much that I've found for shotguns.

Find out what hulls and wads he has, it is important to know that. I can scan the .410 section and email it to you.

Hub

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My nephew has everything to reload 410 except powder and shot and I want to help him get started reloading for it. I've reloaded 30-06, but have no ideas for the little shotgun. What is a good powder and shot for this? How much of each? Thanks.

For the W-W cases W-296 is the best powder. LilGun gives excellent ballistics but unfortunately reduces case life so that you will get cut off cases going through the bore.
For the old R-P poly cases you can use W-296 although I have also used IMR-4227.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can download manuals from (I think) every powder manufacturer free. I reload for a .410, the last time I did I was using Winchester 231 powder AA hulls and AA Wads, Win209 primers. I got my loading data from a free handout from Winchester that I got the same place I bought the powder. And I think I actually bought the powder at Elk City Wal Mart when they were still an everyman's store. I bought a couple of hundred AA 3" hulls on Gunbroker a while back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom