Reloading .45LC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd have to check my book for actual charge, but I'm using Unique under a 255 gr Keith style SWC, shooting out of a 4 5/8" Blackhawk and a Rossi 20" lever gun. The 6 shot average out of the Ruger was 914 fps, and 4 shot average out of the Rossi was 1107 with same load. Very accurate load out of the Rossi, and decent in the Ruger. My dad has loaded up to a 360 gr hardcast in this Ruger, and got it up to around 1100 fps he said, but that is a hard load to shoot much I would bet, and I wouldn't try it in something like a S&W or Colt. I just bought some of the 250 gr Nosler hollowpoints to try for hunting, but haven't loaded any yet. Good luck, I think the 45 Colt is a good round personally.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got a Henry in .45 Colt, very interested in this thread. I'm loading .44Mag with Unique, highest velocities are with Unique and 630 in my Hornady book listings for .45. Prefer the 250 gr JHP for deer and hog use.

I haven't seen any 630 in years. I loved that powder for warm revolver loads.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody loaded any 340 grain in that caliber? I've got a box of them. Hard cast lead with a gas check.

I'm getting ready to load some 300 grain hard cast has check and some XTPs. I plan on testing these in my recently acquired 625-5. I plan on trying it out on some bowling pins next year. I bought some Starline brass to start with.
I'm looking at using titegroup and Blue Dot. From the load data I have seen, blue dot seems to run a bit more velocity before pressure issues start to appear in Smith rated loads. I'll be looking a bit closer before actually start loading/testing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Careful with the blue dot. Pressure goes up with cold weather. I don't think normal winter temps orotund OK has much effect, but if the gun is in a back pack at zero temps for awhile, and your load is at max, there could be some pressure issues.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis, you remember a thread where you said reloading .223 with Varget is simple, just fill up the case and seat the bullet? At least I think that was you. Anyway, use that advice for .45Colt, but with Goex FFg, not Varget. Most fun you can have with your clothes on!
Oh wait, I just saw you didn't want to buy any new powders. Oh well, your loss. :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, you remember a thread where you said reloading .223 with Varget is simple, just fill up the case and seat the bullet? At least I think that was you. Anyway, use that advice for .45Colt, but with Goex FFg, not Varget. Most fun you can have with your clothes on!
Oh wait, I just saw you didn't want to buy any new powders. Oh well, your loss. :)

That was me on the Varget. I do have some FFF. Might load a few up. Thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom