Reloading 9mm: Lead vs Copper Jacketed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Looking in my Lee manual for a load that uses either Win231 or CFEPistol for a 115 grain copper plated bullet.

There is a load for a 115 grain lead bullet using Win231… But that same powder isn’t even mentioned in the next table underneath it that is for copper plated bullets of the same weight.

Any actual harm in using the data for the lead bullet for my copper plated bullet?

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see on the Hodgdon web site that the range of powder charge with 231 and a 115 LRN bullet is 4.3 to 4.8 guns of 231. If you load close to or below that range I would make sure the rounds cycle your guns satisfactorily before loading a large number of rounds. I load 231 in 38 spl and 45 acp but use HS-6 for 9mm. I think a lot of people use 231 (or hp-38) for 9mm so it looks like you are in the right range

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
158EF2D4-B853-4C74-8170-5946077FE5A1.png

That shows 4.7 grains start load for a Gold Dot that is a plated bullet.
Load up a mag full and give it a go.
If you want to play it safe and use the gallery loads that’s cool too!

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gold Dots are jacketed. In a sense, plated bullets have a thinner plated-on jacket similar to the gold dots
but having a lower "speed limit" for the plating. See the Berry website.
It is safe to use jacketed starting loads for plated bullets;
using lead bullet light loads for plated bullets can stick a plated bullet in the bore.
In my 9mm, I need 4 gr of 231 to reliably work the action, and that is plenty to avoid stuck bullets.

Last edited:

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a very good question, and it is exactly why it is recommended to have more than 1 reloading manual. I'd have at least 3 that are very recent printing, and it is wise to get the little older ones when you see them.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
This is a very good question, and it is exactly why it is recommended to have more than 1 reloading manual. I'd have at least 3 that are very recent printing, and it is wise to get the little older ones when you see them.

I referenced my Hornady manual as well to see if their charges were about the same. I would like to add a third manual but not sure what to get.

Latest posts

Top Bottom