Reloading 9mm: Lead vs Copper Jacketed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lead bullets usually load a slower speed, for the fear of the bullet coming apart, and lead fouling the
barrel. The copper plating helps hold the bullet together, and reduces fouling, so they can go a little faster.
I always loaded my lead bullets below 1000 fps, I was told in a Glock, lead bullets would foul bad if any
faster.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lead bullets usually load a slower speed, for the fear of the bullet coming apart, and lead fouling the
barrel. The copper plating helps hold the bullet together, and reduces fouling, so they can go a little faster.
I always loaded my lead bullets below 1000 fps, I was told in a Glock, lead bullets would foul bad if any
faster.
Glock recommends against cast bullets mainly because of polygonal rifling, it doesn't grip the bullet well to impart the spin, and they lead worse than in cut rifled barrels. That's my understanding at least.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never had any problems in any of my pistols with lead. I shoot quality hard cast lead,
and have always loaded them on the low side. I have started playing with some soft cast, IE
wheel weights, and what ever lead I can find. I am then powder coating them. I have a few
ready to go and see how they shoot. It is actually a pretty cheap process to get rolling

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've shot a lot of lubricated lead and had leading in the barrel of the pistol after very few rounds. Removing it isn't much of an issue but was shooting such a volume at the time that it was the cheapest way to go.
Now with the coated bullets, I'll never shoot uncoated lead again. I've recovered some bullets from berms and there is no exposed lead. My barrels stay clean.
I'll need to read back in the coated bullet thread to see how some of the guys into doing their own finally got to the point they were happy with the results.
Probably have a thousand or so .40 cal and the same with .45 cal of plain lead that need coated and loaded.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lower charge weights for lead bullets isn’t because of bullets flying apart. Lower charges are used because lead projectiles have a greater coefficient of friction than jacketed billets. The greater friction of the lead bullet increases the amount of pressure that develops as the powder burns.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking in my Lee manual for a load that uses either Win231 or CFEPistol for a 115 grain copper plated bullet.

There is a load for a 115 grain lead bullet using Win231… But that same powder isn’t even mentioned in the next table underneath it that is for copper plated bullets of the same weight.

Any actual harm in using the data for the lead bullet for my copper plated bullet?

Nope, go for it. Use the same data and same safeguards for developing a new load and you will be fine.

If @Mad Professor gives you advice on loading 9mm, you can take it to the bank!

I do second his suggestion. I've loaded lots of copper plated rounds (mostly Xtreme) with CFE Pistol, and began with using a mid-range charge for lead. Never had any issues.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A reloader can use gas checks on lead, uncoated bullets with increased powder charges/more velocity.
When loading plain lead the heat of the burn in hot loads softens the lead to leave leading in the barrel.
The current process of coating the bullet solves that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom