Reloading for a 44mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.Ridley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a uberti 1873 wheel gun in 44mag i was wondering how hot i could load rounds for its. Its a. 4 3/4 in barrel. I cant find anything online. I carry it hog and soon bear hunting with my hounds so i want a trusty load. Any ideas?

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
using 240 gr jacketed and WW primers....20 to 21gr of 2400 should do nicely there are heavier loads published but I run mine at 19.5....start about 17 or 18gr and move up till you get the groups you want........

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
hot .44mag, don't really see the need to hot rod a .44 magnum. Higher end loads maybe if you want. But a good solid load with those 240gr's will do most things needed.
The only reason is to create a massive fireball to impress the shooters next to you or if your heading into Griz country.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sierra has a 220 gr. jacketed flat point sihlouette bullet that I've heard good things about on tough skinned game like wild boar or bear. Kinda hard to find though, if anybody knows where to find some I would be very grateful. Anyway it's a very accurate bullet in my Super Blackhawk and seems to do better the hotter you load it. I load it at max with H110 and get excellent groups. I used to have a load that I worked up in my Super with this bullet and H110 (that I will not list here for safety reasons) that I could easily hit 1gallon water jugs at 100 yards with off hand. After the noise and massive fireball cleared (massive recoil to match) I couldn't find any traces of the jugs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom