Reloading for Idiots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, thats the ones. I have two single stage presses right now and agree that using one of the 1/4 turn quick change bushings is possible but too much of a PITA to deal with. When I process some brass the wife and I work together. This is especially nice with 357SIG as I will run the brass through a 40 carbide die and then she will run it in the 357SIG die to neck size. No lube needed.

I thought about a progressive press but for how much I do and never liking the powder charge dispensers I ended up with I will probably stick with the single stage press unless someone is getting out of reloading and I get something STUPID cheap.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless your loading precision rifle rounds for long range the progressive powder dispensers work great. I check every 10th round or so and mine remains within 1/10 of a grain on manual scales used as a standard.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a little far off in Ponca, but if you ever want to go through a loading session, I'd be happy to get you started. Been loading since 1980 with a dozen or so centerfire rifle calibers, maybe a dozen pistol calibers and shotshell loading as well.
I've helped a few on this forum get started and worked through some issues that come up as they progress.
May take you up on that

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless your loading precision rifle rounds for long range the progressive powder dispensers work great. I check every 10th round or so and mine remains within 1/10 of a grain on manual scales used as a standard.

I just use and auto charge, have a bunch of cases primed and ready to go then pull the pan and drop the charge and setup for the next one. Maybe it was me or the plastic or the newness of the dispenser but the thing would throw weights up to three grains off. I didn't even want to trust it for a rifle round let alone a pistol. I ended up just weighing every single throw which took forever with the beam scale. I ended up trading off two dispensers and a scale I ended up with. Kept one for verifying a thing here or there but haven't felt the need to use it once so far. But a lot of it is personal preference as well what works for me and makes me happy may drive someone else crazy and vice versa.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Lee presses and Lee dies also and Lyman and Hornady chamfer and primer hole tools.
Lee case length gauge cutter and shell holders are also Lee.
Hornady case lube in the tub or imperial sizing die wax for the rounds that need lube.

505 beam scale and all rifle and 357 mag loads are weighed except my 45 pistol loads and I do as Dennis said in post 32.

I began reloading with the Lee Classic Loader and that was just fine and made great accurate ammo.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The straight wall case of the 45-70 is a great round to start reloading with. Straight walled cases are easy to load. You don’t have to worry about shoulder setback and a few other steps required for other ammo

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just use and auto charge, have a bunch of cases primed and ready to go then pull the pan and drop the charge and setup for the next one. Maybe it was me or the plastic or the newness of the dispenser but the thing would throw weights up to three grains off. I didn't even want to trust it for a rifle round let alone a pistol. I ended up just weighing every single throw which took forever with the beam scale. I ended up trading off two dispensers and a scale I ended up with. Kept one for verifying a thing here or there but haven't felt the need to use it once so far. But a lot of it is personal preference as well what works for me and makes me happy may drive someone else crazy and vice versa.
A lot of accurate powder throws rely on the type of powder that is used. Flake powders always meter accurately while stick powders can bridge in the dispenser and be off on occasion. I've got the Hornady electronic dispenser as well. That thing is crazy accurate but is not the fastest for bulk reloading. It takes 10 seconds or so to get each load out, but if it's 1/10 of a grain over or under it lets you know.

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
H&H has held classes in the past.
I don’t have my new reloading room set up yet but I am willing to let you try it and go over the process if you get around Piedmont some time and don’t mind Lee precision presses.
I have a pair of loadmasters (5 dies progressive) and a pro 1000 (3 dies progressive) and a pair of single stage.
I do mostly pistol calibers, a little .223 and just got the dies for 30-06 Monday but haven’t set them up yet. If you are interested in rifle calibers, we could start there with setting up the dies and would get to cover most everything, instead of just pulling the lever on a press that is already set up.
I will go put some 30-06 cases in the tumbler to clean them.
Thanks
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live just south of piedmont. I would be in for this. I reload pistol stuff with no problem. but I have trouble with rifle stuff. resizing and everything. would love for someone to walk me through it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom