Reloading Grendel 129 gr ABLR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david1289

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried some 6.5 Grendel reloads using some leftover IMR 4895 powder I had to test out the 129 gr Nosler Accubond Long Range bullets. I did half grain increments from 24.5 gr to 26.0 gr with the IMR 4895. Seated bullets to 2.258” OAL. My groups were about the same mostly with about a 3 inch spread.

The gun is AR15 with Bear Creek Arsenal 20 inch upper (nothing fancy). I know this is a budget upper but I wonder if I can get better groups with reloads. The factory Hornady 123 gr SST does shoot better at about 1.5 inch groups.

Should I try other powders? Or should I look at bedding and lapping the barrel to upper receiver?

I don’t see that I can go any longer with the OAL due to the magazine. Should I try seating deeper for a shorter OAL?

Just seems like extra powder is still hard to get. I finally got my back ordered bullets and was hoping for a quick success with IMR 4895.
Thanks

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
4895 is my KISS powder but I have not tried it in Grendel. Once I get settled in at the new place, the Grendel is first on the list to work up. I have a few others to try too. What kind of brass prep did you do?

david1289

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok cool. Hope you get some good loads working.

I had used the Hornady brass from the factory ammo 123 gr sst. I did full length resize, clean primer pocket, but did not trim the brass. However I did a light deburr/chamfer on the neck with a hand tool.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
That should be decent enough prep for once fired brass. I would think the groups would be better than that though.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a chrono? Find the charge/node that gives you the most consistent results, and then play around with different seating depths. I've found seating depth to have as much or even more effect on group size as powder charge. Just my two cents.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ABLR can be a bit sensitive to seating depth. You can try going shorter, but I wouldn't go much shorter than 2.220 as the bearing surface of the ogive needs to be outside of the case neck.

I don't think you'll see a ton of accuracy improvement by tearing things apart and lapping and bedding...unless the upper was incorrectly assembled originally.

IMR 8208 XBR is "the" Grendel powder, but many powders work well. I had great luck right off the bat with AA2520.

IMR-4895 is more temp sensitive than some of the newer stuff. The only problem with trying new powders is good luck finding them.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have a chrono? Find the charge/node that gives you the most consistent results, and then play around with different seating depths. I've found seating depth to have as much or even more effect on group size as powder charge. Just my two cents.

This is good, but I do it backwards from this step.

I'll load 4-5 rounds at .030 intervals and see how they group. Then I'll take the best group (you want a concentric group, no stringing or double groups...3+2 etc..) and do charge weight testing from there.

Both ways work. I just have my preference.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is good, but I do it backwards from this step.

I'll load 4-5 rounds at .030 intervals and see how they group. Then I'll take the best group (you want a concentric group, no stringing or double groups...3+2 etc..) and do charge weight testing from there.

Both ways work. I just have my preference.
I'm a lefty, so I do it backwards! But yeah, both ways work.

sleepyj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For grendel i have had my best luck with ram shot tac and 8208xbr i am shooting 123gr eld match and SST with some 120 gold dot. Both these powders group about half MOA at a 100 with better velocity out of 8208. shooting a PSA 20in hbar upper

Latest posts

Top Bottom