Reloading/Handloading 300 Blackout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I plan on reloading for this soon. I’m not going to be reloading for quiet, I am mainly loading for a nice 150 yard hunting load, From what I have read that’s about maximum effective range for this round. I’ve heard these Barnes bullets are some of the best for 300 blackout and I Was thinking about doing these in either 120 or 110 grain. Input on bullet choice? I don’t think I currently have any powder good for this round but was wondering if CFEBLK is a good powder for 300blk and the bullet I am thinking of using?

Also going to be converting .223/5.56 brass to 300blackout and could use some insight on that. I thought I read that there are some headstamps to stay away from because the brass is to thick to convert to 300blk

Edit: forgot to mention I will be shooting this out of a 1:7 twist 16” barrel.

650D4EEB-76C2-43C0-B993-B8C1B5C40E0D.jpeg

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Barnes 110 and 120 bullets are the gold standard for 300BLK supers. I’d say pick the one your gun likes to shoot the best and go with it.

Can’t help you on powders on a 16” barrel. All my research is for 7.5- 9” barrels.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Converting brass to 300BO I try to only use Lake City brass but have used all brands. Remington was the only ones that I had issues with IIRC. Saved damaged cases for awhile knowing I was going that direction. Built a jig to run them thru a bandsaw cut off right above the shoulder. Cut off deburr, lube then resize. My method of using the band saw makes some come out gnarly long and no specific length but I use a powered trimmer so doesn't bother me. I just deburr again after trimming to length and there good to go. My bandsaw method though sped things up tremendously with the jig I built out of wood. Can stack 8 to 10 cases at a time and run them through instead of 1 at a time with one of them little chop saws.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I load 120 grain. Use any/all brass with no issues. I cut down 5.56/223 brass. Shot a deer a couple years ago with it at 85 yards. Didn’t go far.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
H110 and W296 are the same and are interchangeable (30 Carbine). H110 is the original fast powder for 300BLK.
Lilgun works great too. All these work all the way up to heavy subs.

Just like the 30 Carbine, the 300BLK is actually a pistol cartridge, not a rifle cartridge. It has almost 10gr less case capacity than a 44spl. and 3-4gr less than a 357 mag. It uses pistol powders in 90% of the loads. If you treat it as such, you'll be successful and happy. If you treat it like a rifle cartridge, you'll end up sad, pissed off, or missing eyeballs and/or fingers.

Hodgdon and Load Data.com are awesome resources.

Also, remember that 300BLK was designed for pistol gas in a short barrel. It doesn't like dwell time. So if you are using a 16" bbl and carbine gas, and your gun is all squirrelly and doing everything but functioning correctly, you probably need to open up your gas port.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been using 1680 with 147 grn xtreme bullets. I don't know what the speed is,
I worked up a load that shoots the best. It is out of a 16 inch ar, With a carbine length
gas system. They function great, and are very accurate at 100 yards, have not tried
them out to 200 yet. All the data showed H110 working good to. The H110 was not
as readily available as the 1680 that is why I chose that powder. I have picked up range
brass, and bought a couple lots of once fired brass. The once fired was pretty cheap,
didn't see the need to spend the time cutting down .223 brass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom