Reloading/Handloading 300 Blackout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To me the BLK's forte is how well it works in an AR with a 7-9" barrel. All that's required beyond a 5.56 AR is a barrel swap. Same bolt, same mags (except with super long profile subs), same everything else. In a 7-9" barrel, it has more oompf than a 5.56 does. Unlike 7.62X39, it works universally well in the AR and again, doesn't lose much if any oompf in comparison.

For me it will be a HD gun that I can use as a PDW should the need ever arise, and if I ever hunt medium sized game again, will do anything I need it to do inside 150 yards. That's about 40 yards longer than the longest shot I ever made on deer before. Being so light, compact, high capacity, effective and easy to shoot, it's a no brainer for my intended uses.

I do agree that if you move beyond these roles, there are better cartridges available. If you're trying to standardize on BLK alone, you're giving up a lot at a much higher cost per round. That's why I still have 5.56 and 6.8 guns in my safe. :)

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Sell it and buy a 7.62x39 it'll do everything the blackout will do and much more. My blackouts sit in the safe and rarely come out to play.

I don’t think they have this rifle in the 7.62x39 option. I am not that big on the AR platform but I do enjoy the x39 in an AK or SKS.

Got this because I’ve always wanted one and it might convince me to get a can… this will also be a good first deer rifle I think for my boy when he’s of age. Gotta get a different optic for it first though and then I can develop a load for it.

EE38F24E-BC8E-41FF-95AC-7D7DF905E31C.jpeg

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Since loading for 300blk is like loading a pistol round should I use a small rifle primer like I would in .223 or should I use a small magnum pistol primer?
I used mil primers like CCI or Winchester #41, unless it's going in a bolt gun. Then it doesn't matter much. The extra oomph out of a magnum primer is negligible IMO but there are probably folks on here who would vehemently disagree. WRT pistol primers, they may not be enough to be reliable, but IDK.
Think of it like a 30 carbine.

Last edited:

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve done tons of workup with this caliber and supersonic loads. I’ve taken deer out to 100yds with a Barnes 110gr and h110, and having seen what it (and a Hornady vmax 110) do to gel, I have no qualms stepping out even further. If you peruse this forum some you can run across my gel tests. Also when reviewing data, remember that 296/h110 are actually the same now. So as long as it’s not an ancient manual, they are the same. Hodgdon has confirmed so.

I myself tried Cfe blk, as did my cousin (he is a 300BO diehard) and just could not get good enough results with 110-120 weight bullets or otherwise. Also note, If loading for a Ruger ranch rifle in 300BO, they have known issues with hard (magnum) primers and can give you frequent light strike issues.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite 300BLK load for hunting is H110 under 110 gr flat base Hornady v-max using standard small rifle primers.

In tried 125 gr Sierra BT’s but couldn’t get the velocity high enough to perform well at 200 yds and beyond.

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My main load is a Hornady 110gr VMAX over Lil Gun. I’ve shot it of 7.5-18” barrels @100yds with great accuracy and zero issues cycling with almost 3k down the pipes. Still have a little over 6k in cans but I did get some Barnes and CFE BLK I need to try out. I prefer to run 300BO progressive, normally load 1k at time to make it worth my while so gonna need a little more Barnes boolits before I sit at the 300BO setup 750 lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom