Reloading help needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hope everyone at osa is having a bang up time. I currently load 45acp with unique at 4.9 grains and 200gr semi-wadcutter. Makes for a good light target load. Currently can't get standard primers but see some magnum primers available. Problem is I can't get any info on using these mag primers with the 45acp. Don't want to use them till I know it's safe. Anybody out there that can tell me anything about the mag primers. 1eye

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Short answer is any change of components potentially can cause changes up to 5K (thousand) PSI in peak pressure.

Long answer is my experience with moderate charges of Unique indicates it is not particularly touchy about magnum primers. The hotter the load, the greater the risk. I've done it in Colts with no ill effects, but it's your gun, fingers, and eyes.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Short answer is any change of components potentially can cause changes up to 5.000 PSI in peak pressure.

Long answer is my experience with moderate charges of Unique indicates it is not particularly touchy about magnum primers. I've done it in Colts with no ill effects, but it's your gun, fingers, and eyes.

5.000? or 5,000? 5.0 psi is big hoopla over nothing!!

Like has been said, if you're loading anywhere near max (or over halfway if it was me) back off 5-10% of what you're loading, use mag primers, load a few, and shoot them. If you see no pressure signs, or otherwise odd behavior, then keep using them.

The biggest thing is, use common sense and think safety. :wink2:

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can get primers from Powder Valley pretty quickly. I ordered 5k large pistol a couple weeks ago and had them in a week. They are wolf but I have heard good reports on them. Supposed to be comparable to cci.

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't think the pressure will climb much,I think it was Cooper who carried a 200 gr swc and 7.5 gr of unique.I used to shoot 6 gr of unique all the time before switching to 231.Pistol powders are generally easy to ignite so the only difference may come from the extra briscance of the primer itself.WW primers are rated for standard or magnum loads and I use them for .45 auto and max .44 mag.If it is not a max load I don't worry about it. Of course if you have any doubts then for your own peace of mind back the charge down %10.

Latest posts

Top Bottom