Reloading help requested...Pistol & Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got my first Tanfoglio, Yes ! Bear stopping power in a concealable package :-) Its an EAA Witness Poly Carry new and since retail ammo is very hard to find in Tulsa and so pricy to ship we decided to learn to load our own. I have 500 rds of once fired 10mm arizona mixed brass inbound (all I could find @ decent price). Also have 4 pc Lee carbide die set, bulge buster yes we have calipers & mics & get it on case bulge thinning) , lyman reloading manual intransit. All our handgun loads have to be for short barrels as listed below. Have everything else already except powder bullets & primers, have Lee anniversery press kit setup, Lyman pro 1200 turbo tumbler & Nufinish polish but the following

This may be mission impossible but...

1. Need proven recommendations on lowest cost but no issue reloading components powder, bullets & primers that provide excellent to 50 yd 380acp/9x18 mak/9x19 lug and 100+ yd tac driving accuracy for 10mm auto. Recoil is not an issue except on the 10mm which is over 10.5 lbs on this pistol and want some full power loads and most target plinkers reduced recoil. I desire the slowest burning powder possible in these short barrels without issues. Also want to use as few different powders, bullets primers as possible like HP38 with all four below loads and same bullet for 380acp & Makarov. We do not want to make mistakes so want only proven in exact situation loads.

1. 380acp w/ 95gr, small pistol primers (brand?)
2. 9x18mm Makarov 95gr sm pistol primers (brand?)
3. 9x19mm Para/Luger w/115-124gr, sm pistol primers (brand?)
4. 10mm auto w/165 or lighter plinker 200-215gr personal defense/hunting. Lg pistol primers (brand?).

Alternative powders for discussion:
Power pistol
IMR800x (known to be good for short bbl)

Pistols we are reloading for all factory no tweaking:
Order of realoading quantity high to low is
1. Jennings/ Bryco Mod 48 nickel 380acp 4" bbl.
2. Sig Sauer P238 380acp 2.7" bbl.
3. FEG PA63 9x18 Makarov 3.9" bbl.
4. S&W M&P Shield 9mm Luger 3.1" bbl.
5. Walther PPS 9mm Luger 3.2" bbl.
6. Kel-Tec PF9 9mm Luger 3.1" bbl.
7. Tanfoglio EAA Witness P Carry Compact 10mm auto 3.7" bbl.

For those who might also know how to help with below rifles reloads...
Now for the harder stuff (omnious laugh):
We, as in all 6 of us 3 young men and one daughter and two parents hence cost control is important and we own multiples of all rifle models, are also wanting to attempt to use the same powder (again proven in exact rifle & load with no less than 100 yd tac driver accuracy). Knock down power and stability are very important. Recoil is a non issue as these are buffer compensated or hunting low use as obvious by model listed in order of qty of reloading highest to lowest. Per below we need a inexpensive but good 140 gr 7mm bullet that flies excellent for the 7wsm that works good in the 7-08 with same powder if possible:

1. M4 JSE upper nitrided bbl .223/5.56 Wylde chamber I have been told, 14.5" bbl. Eats anything Prefer 62gr no green tips.
2. M4 PSA double chrome lined FN Herstal .223/5.56 Wylde chamber have been told, bbl 14.4" M4. Eats anything Prefer 62gr no green tips.
3. PSA 6.8spc CRS (SS) FN Herstal 14.5" lightened profile bbl w/ .750 lug dia. (115gr Federal Fusion MSR untested) & 120gr SST Hornandy custom so far few shot okay.
4. Apache Machine Works 6.8spc CRS (SS) .750 lug bbl on M4 PSA LPK w/JSE upper parts & Anderson lower suppose to be mil spec chamber and good feedback on Ebay. Unfired.
5. Winchester Super Shadow Model 70 7mmWSM 24" bbl low rd count under 20 up to 1 mile tac driver shoots hole in hole @ 100yds w/ winchester Supreme CXP2 ballistic silvertip140gr. There is some talk these cases are overpacked for accuracy.
6. Ruger M77 MK II Frontier 7mm-08 16" steel bbl low rd count about 10 tac driver below 300 yd with Federal Preimum 140gr Nosler accubond.
7. Rossi adult single shot beak action .243 95gr winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip CXP2. Federal blue box 100gr. No current plans to reload, no dies unless someone donated them.

Now am out of breath.
Thanks in advance this is no small request.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Each weapon has its on needs as far as load development. You may get lucky and find a single load that works in all your guns, but not in my experience. I have had to work up loads for each of my rifles to get to that magic spot. Pistols are a little easier, but again, asking for a proven load for a different gun is asking a lot. For 223, I like Varget, AA2230, AA2015 and a variety of milsurp powders for my plinking. For 10mm, I use AA7, AA9, 2400 and titegroup. There are many other powders that will work as well, but those are the ones I have settled on. I load mostly either 165 or 180 grain bullets. I would recommend that you use a good loading manual and start low and work up seeing what cycles you action best and gives the best group. Some loads are most accurate at the lower end and some at the higher end. depends again on the weapon. Your Jennings is a questionable brand as far as strength of the materials in it. the Keltec is also one you don't want to use heavy loads in. Keltec is a good brand, but the way it is designed, (small light weight frame) it won't hold up to lots of heavy high pressure loads. I have a Tangfolio Witness in 10mm and like it quite a bit, but it is the larger heavier model. Don't take shortcuts in your loading, be safe and you will get to shoot a lot more than you would if buying factory ammo. good luck

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I've been wrong before, but my first impression is that I'd start by taking the 10mm out of the one-powder quest unless you are willing to settle for mid-power loads. Titegroup might produce enough speed to suit you.

I can and have loaded .380 and 9mm Luger with Titegroup and WIN231/HP38 (same powder) and gotten satisfactory results in anything they were shot in. I helped a friend with Makarov 9.2mm using HP38, and that worked well. I usually use WIN SP in semi-auto.

My .380 with 90gr Rem bullets shoots into 4" at 25yd in a Sig 230. The 9mm 124gr Precision Delta is at least that accurate in M&P, Brn HP, Glock, and some others that have shot it. Pistol accuracy, given the short range with a self-defense pistol, is more dependent on shooter and gun, unless the ammo is truly awful.

I would suggest getting some cartridge gages to be sure your reloads are within SAAMI spec, as chambers vary. A reload that is a hair too long for a Glock will go right in an STI, for example. A cartridge that gages OK will go into either.

No comment on your rifle loads, as that is a different game.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahomabassin, Rod Snell, Blitzfike & Volmarr, Thank you all. Blitz' Do you mind posting those milsurp powders? I am taking methodical and thorough approach trying to eliminate as much work up and guess work as possible. Very nice stuff @ STI but out of my price range and heavier than the Tangfo and did not see a subcompact in 10mm which is as potent as I ever want being smaller am pushing it with the Tanfo compact carry poly but can not hunt here with less or sure don't feel comfortable with less for carry or hunting as the 10mm range and energy I am still skilled enough at my age to take full advantage of thank God.
As a side note I had researched the above mentoined issues of case length and have an eye for those issues as I work to .0005" regularly for the last 16 years. Can still see and feel to .002" fortunately so we are not guaging (yet) but are measuring carefully.
As to the Jennings/ Bryco should have mentioned its low use less than 200 rds at 24 years of owning and we are watching the entire pistol very closely for first faulure signs will dye pen and will scrap it out at that point. Same for the kel-Tec as it a carry only but shot few rds to make sure I can always hit what am aiming at. The pistols getting all the bulk of use are the better designed ones on purpose with the best durability records we own, S&W M&P Shield 9, Walther PPS 9, Sig 238 & FEG PA-63 mak 9x18. I am getting far better than 4" @ 25yds out of FBT's bulk reloads in both the Shield & Walther 1.5" @ 35 yds. But am a good natural shooter w/ high NRA rating.
Volmarr thanks again, we got Jerry's info from the good folks @ Fat Boy Tactical. Need to get out there tomorrow.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have to do the work up on your rifle cartridges. What shoots well in one gun may not in another. Your one powder quest is great but may not work because of that. The one bullet quest also. For low cost pistol bullets use cast lead bullets. JK bullets are great.

To be methodical you need to focus on one case at a time. Figure out one of them then go to the next. You can share bullets between same bore diameters. You will be able to share powders too. It will take some work to find the one you like. Now a days, not just to pick it out, but to actually find it in the stores.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The milsurp powders I use in the 223 are WC-844, WC844T (for tracers) Russian 4198, and a surplus commercial powder WC-842. With 55 to 62 grain bullets, I use 22.5 grains of WC-844 and with the WC-842 I use 23.5 grains of powder. This very closely duplicates the military ball performance in my guns. I don't have my notebook here for the data on the 4198. It is not the best choice for 223 anyway. I load 308 with the WC-842 as well, 147 gr fmjbt with standard large rifle primer and 35.5 grains WC-842. I worked the milsurp loads up in my rifles, and you should do likewise if you decide to use those powders. here are some links to sources of milsurp supplies. http://www.gibrass.com/index.html www.patsreloading.com www.polygunbag.com Here are some commercial links. https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ http://store.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com/ (third generation is the Gene Sears website for the El-Reno location.) http://natchezss.com/ There are many more links, but these are the ones I use most frequently. Good luck.. Jim

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you Okietom & Blitzfike for the good info. Called Jerrys Ourdoor & Reloading and had good conversation with them. He is very good to deal with and effecient. His availibity is good on most everything I needed on a kind of long list except powders I was wanting such is everywhere.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom