Reloading help requested...Pistol & Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are not doing any smaller than 380acp right now. I agree, to that end got in transit a frankford arsenal electronic, compact type, to double check the new manual lee scale.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had erratic results with the Frankford Arsenal and one other small electronic scale, I had to keep virtually new batteries in both of them to make them stay in calibration. I have a Lyman DP1200 dispenser that I use as an electronic scale and it has been rock solid. I still use an old Ohaus 505 scale (RCBS 505 scale is the identical scale) for random checking. You just can't use it with a fan blowing or any stray air currents, as they tend to really make the manual scale fluctuate. Watch your FA scale and check it with a known weight object pretty often. I kept a 77 grain 32acp bullet next to it as a scale check weight.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I had seen all that best practice stuff in all the reading up we did in adfition to 20 weight consistency prior to dropping powder in cases. My 20 yo son is extreemly adept at this type of thing and gis pertectionistic tendancies caused me to train him for thus critical task. Thanks for the reminder though.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So far our scale has been very accurate. Will keep an eye on it though and not as sensitive to air currents as some reports I have read. Doing a lot of weight counting tonight with it.

Range report on Alliant e3 pistol handload workups for:
380acp
9mm Luger
10mm auto

Red Dot minus 10-20% e3 Alternate Powder Pistol Handload preface:
E3 is a very fast nitro mix composition "flake" powder, I am told, known for forgiving properties with non linear pressure curve if used within Red Dot load specs. But dangerous if not very careful to stay within max for Red Dot & or CUP with heavier boolits in longer barrels.

Summaries only as posting all the data from our log is pointless. All e3 loads shot at 100 yard burm target in 50F weather windy gusting to 28 mph (yea fun) @ 591' above sea level. Sorry no chrono.

380acp test gun Sig P238 2.7" bbl 15.2 oz w/ mag near new all factory less than 20 round count:
Factory ammo reference Remington UMC 95 gr MC, metal case.plinker accuracy was inconsistent to terrible @ 25 yards. UMC used to make good stuff in the '80's not sure what happaned at the Lonoke factory in AR.

Bullet= 100 gr Berrys bulk cold swaged lead core electro plated (no jacket) here: http://www.berrysmfg.com/products-c58-Berrys_Preferred_Plated_Pistol_Bullets.aspx
Primer Winchester small pistol.
Cases once fired range brass untrimmed full resize. OAL .977"-.984".
Powder charge increment of .75 gr from 2.1 gr to 2.925 gr. Lowest charges from 2.1 to 2.7 gr acceptable for 20 to 50 yard plinking. Accuracy sweet spot @ 100 yds gradually tightened to peak at two steps 2.775 gr to 2.850 gr and max load @ 2.925 gr began to destabilize. Recoil was mild from minimum 2.1 gr slowly increasing to 2.625 gr feeling like a mild 9mm luger load compact poly M&P Shield 9mm recoil but also started to ruin cases from ejection rebound at mouth in two spots 180 degrees opposite on last one to last two rounds in clip through the load max @ 2.925 gr. Barrel stayed incredibly clean.

9MM Para/ Luger e3 workup:
Test gun:
Almost new factory S&W M&P Shield Poly frame 3.1" bbl 19.1 oz round count ~30.
More brief on this one. No branded factory ammo ref just bulk poly bag plinking mfg'd local 125 gr RN. Unkn projectile type (unable to verify due to lack of labeling), performed erratically no accuracy @ 100 yds.
Reloaded 115gr same as above 380acp bullet type here: http://www.berrysmfg.com/products-c58-Berrys_Preferred_Plated_Pistol_Bullets.aspx
Cases full resize mixed headstamp once fired range brass. Winchester primers. OAL one load batch was 1.1515" to 1.165" for 4.4 gr in sweet spot but rest were 1.163"-1.169" . Steps up in .1 gr more agressive since 380acp went so well beginning with 4.1 gr e3 to max @ 4.5 gr. 4.1gr no issues felt weak was low @100 few feet occasonal flyer 1 to 2 of 5 as increased recoil was comparible to other 9mm factory loads. Increasing accuracy and small felt recoil inrease up to 4.4 gr which was the sweet spot including max load @4.5 gr. No case issues.

Now for the jewel of the three:
10mm auto
Test gun Tanflugio EAA Witness Carry Poly 3.6" bbl 29 oz new, factory, round count 6 prior to test. Factory load compare was Remington UMC poor performance, sad really, wimpy 175 gr no accuracy @ 100 yds.
Workup bullets same mfg & type composition as above Berry's cast plated FN in 165 gr, in once fired range brass full resize mixed head stamp OAL 1.254"-1.260" all pretty tight range consistent compared to other batches. No case / primer indications of over pressure. E3 start 5.0 gr to 6.2 gr max. 5.0 gr okay close range plinker not accurate consistent low about 2.5'. 5.3 gr to 5.9 gr sweet spot very wide increasing accuracy in rise @ 100 yds but very accurate otherwise. Only one slight flyer tight 1.2' grooping to start and 5.6 gr & 5.9 gr dead on. 6.2 gr max less accurate. Recoil was same trend no suprises.

All in all very pleased with this Alliant e3 12ga shotgun powder in pistols.

Last edited:

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is kinda off topic but close enough that I will ask other reloaders on this same thread.

Anyone that uses the Lee Bulge Buster in .45 acp notice that Winchester Brass Cases seems to have more bulges than any other case brand?

I shot 300 rounds yesterday of reloads in my 1911 and Glock, I also picked up every available piece of brass found (about 600 total), I have noticed that if have at least 35-40 cases in Winchester brand that have bulges, and almost zero for the Tula, Remington, Federal, etc.

What are your experiences??

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Winchester brass seems to be a little softer or thinner, not sure which as I haven't measured them for that. Bulges come from being fired in Glocks with factory barrels. Glock, in their infinite wisdom chose to make the feed ramp extend further into the chamber than most manufacturers. If you will take a glock barrel out of the weapon and drop a round into the chamber, you can see how far the feed ramp is cut into the chamber. That area becomes an un supported area of the chamber. Even though its pretty short, using brass that has been resized, when used in glocks can become dangerous. The resized brass is harder and more brittle, making it more likely to blow out when fired again in an un supported chamber. I don't currently own any Glocks, but if I did, I'd invest in an aftermarket barrel that not only had a fully supported chamber but also cut rifling rather than the polygonal bore that is standard in Glock Pistols. A recent batch of 10mm range brass that I bought had about 10% that had been bulged so hard that there was a distinct cut at the end of the bulge in the case. Those went straight into the scrap bin. I'm currently making 50 caliber swaged fmj bullets using 45ACP brass. I turn off the rim, insert a cast 45-70 bullet into the case, put a 50 cal gas check on the end and run it into the swage die. I anneal all the brass to red before swaging, but the Winchester seems to be the easiest to work in this manner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom