Reloading help requested...Pistol & Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had to end up getting Alliant e3 powder for short bbl pistols due to online and shelf shotages. e3 is a bit faster than Hodgdon Titewad but cleaner than anything they claim. There is no load data except 12ga on the Alliant site but there are folks working up loading in Tulsa. Anyone know who? I need a little direction or will use the Titewad info with an appropiate adjustment.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had to end up getting Alliant e3 powder for short bbl pistols due to online and shelf shotages. e3 is a bit faster than Hodgdon Titewad but cleaner than anything they claim. There is no load data except 12ga on the Alliant site but there are folks working up loading in Tulsa. Anyone know who? I need a little direction or will use the Titewad info with an appropiate adjustment.

Just to be clear, I recommended TITEGROUP, not TiteWAD.

Titewad is a very fast shotgun powder that is too fast for general loads in pistols. It can be used in some low velocity loads, but it is NOT SAFE to increase past the published loading data. The pressure goes up very quickly, in a non-linear curve!

If you use an Alliant powder that is faster than titewad, and for which there are no pistol data from Alliant, don't call me when you blow up a pistol!

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well remember am using short bbl's and there was more data I did not mention in that thicker loaders handbook that is not in any other one that when I made the selection we looked at the equivalencies and noted the differences as in what your describing as "non linear curve" pressure. On the below chart 7 different powders are listed as equivalent but notes state a 5% variance. Add that to batch variance and a safety factor % in addition to safe minimum starting point will be a substantial % lower. In addition the danger zone is what you mention that I am asking about of the guys already accumulationg data as I am not the one who is really guinnie pigging thus just using their info to create an additional slow down and measure more point to prevent any infrigement into red zones. Thanks for the warnings but if there is one thing that is over printed its the warnings and I like to read and heed safety data.
http://adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/equivalents.asp

Powder burn rate chart 2011 if anyone hss a newer one please share it:
http://www.loadnbench.com/loadnbenc...ng-information/116-powder-burn-rate-june-2012

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There have been for some time avid shooters using a few different and some discontinued powders for light target loads in pistols in this same speed range as titewad & e3 but no one is posting it yet. I just need one or more of those guys to share his loads.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There have been for some time avid shooters using a few different and some discontinued powders for light target loads in pistols in this same speed range as titewad & e3 but no one is posting it yet. I just need one or more of those guys to share his loads.

Use reloading data for Red Dot. I've just started playing with e3 and it looks extremely promising. Be aware that it's a very fast powder and you will NOT get full 10mm performance with it. It's a low to medium pressure powder, I.E. not good for magnum type loads. It does seem to be somewhat forgiving compared to others as fast as it is, but treat it with respect, especially since your are just starting out. For target/plinking loads there may not be a better one out there. Time will tell.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well found several Red Dot loads on handloads.org for 380acp, Makarov & 9 Luger/ Para but 1911 forum hit some paydirt with a guy by handle CBXjohn using 5gr in 10mm Delta Elite but no bullet weight. It was an experiment using his 40cal load data shot 5 rds w/3" groups @ 25yds. With the 45acp data I am seeing it does make some ball park sense but still looking for better info... Well after more looking somewhat jackpot found on a forum here good OAL & powder "curve" explanations providing enough to understand:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?49344-Red-Dot-and-10mm
Here is another bit of published Red Dot:
Sierra and Lyman do list a few 10mm 5" barrel loads:

135gr JHP, 7.2gr Red Dot, 1375 f/s, 567 fLbs, PF 186
150gr JHP, 6.5gr " " , 1243 f/s, 514 fLbs, PF 187
170gr JHP, 6.0gr " " , 1100+f/s
180gr JHP, 6.0gr " " , 1080 f/s. 466 fLbs, PF 189

Last edited:

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going with starting point with Alliant e3 tonight with 10mm win large (WLP) primers of 5.0gr with 165gr plated cast RN on mixed range brass we cleaned (had about 6 rejects of 250 from 500 ordered from AZ) deprimed and full length resized and working up to 6.3 in .3gr increments. Anyone have a chrono we can borrow for monday in Tulsa/Broken Arrow area? Will be watching primers and cases with magnifier every round.

On a side note the D shaped Lee press we are using required us to stiffen the 6 place full size nice dining table we inherited we are using as bench due to it being too wimpy. Used steel 3/8"t x 6.5" w x 36"L thick bar stock and spray or gel powder safe case lube the cases & die to complete stroke on resize due to force required for 7WSM, 7-08, 6.8SPC. Knew we would struggle on these with less than a Rock Crusher but am pleased we pulled it off.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Based on the table flex still having am gonna have to pick up a much larger scrap yard piece of same or thicker flat stock to be a permanent fix.

Latest posts

Top Bottom