reloading primer question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koolhandlinc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I am reloading some 380acp and I run out of primers. I was at my brothers house and he was at work. I look around and find magnum small pistol primers and load 50 and call it quits. I am using a hand press and going a little slow. Anyway, when my brother gets home he gets small primers for me and I keep going. I did segregate the magnum primer loaded cases.

What exactly is the difference between small pistol primers and magnum small pistol primers. I don't think any power difference is there and its a metal thickness issue. I have done a few searches on the internet trying to determine if I can just through them in with all the others and move on.

Can anybody direct me to information from a trusted site that explains the difference? Maybe a test showing differences in power between primers.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The magnums will produce higher pressure than normal. Depending on the load I'd drop the powder level to the minimum, just to be safe. .380 is a really low pressure cartridge though.. so you might not see a difference at all.

Koolhandlinc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't stopped seeking data on this. I did find this on CCI's web site. Speficially talking about magnum primers " * 23 percent hotter flame than standard primers
* Increased flame duration
* Initiator compound engineered to ignite
ball/spherical propellants
* Improved sensitivity for “critical-need” loading
* Large capacity cases
* Heavily-deterred propellants
* Ambient firing temperatures below 20° F
* Usage Note: Use Magnum primers only where
called for in published reloading data"

So I guess that's as much an answer as any so far.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would be a good idea to not just mix the mag primed ammo with the rest. Based on the info you have found, I would not shoot them in a mouse gun (P3AT, LCP, etc. In a .380 Makarov, or a Walther, I'd see how they shoot, particularly checking for signs of high pressure.

If you have loaded at max pressures I suggest you pull the bullets and load the brass at a lower powder charge, somewhere near minimum. CB

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This question has come up before. Answer was don't do it in .380 as the case has no reserve strength, unless you are willing to risk blown cases and all that entails.

CCI said they have seen up to 5000 PSI change in some calibers by switching to magnum primers, small changes in others. No general rule of thumb to rely on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom