Reloading scales and or powder dispenser

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
am starting to load 5.56mm, and running some single stage runs of various pistol calipers. Is an electronic dispenser worth the cost? Or just use a manual and a good scale like a Dillon?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Hornady electronic dispenser. Checked it dozens of times against the beam scale and it's been perfect every time.
I'm gaining more trust in it every time it gets used.

Beau

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also have the hornady auto measure an I love it. It has to "warm up" for about 30min before is accurate and constant. I'll turn it on put it on 3.8 and it'll pour to 3.8 then after a min it will get lighter till it reads 0 then pours 3.8 again. It will usually stabilize shortly after. I'll pour all 7.6grains out and RE zero then it's gtg. They are extremely sensitive to metal being nearby and having the ceiling fan on will throw it off. Just some things to keep in mind.

Last edited:

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
It depends on the type of powder you are using and the number of rounds you are reloading. I use a digital scale, which works perfect. It is a matter of learning what causes inconsistency. My scale has to be perfectly level, warmed up, and I have to close the vent in the room where I am reloading. For my 308, 243, and 7mm rounds I weigh each charge, for accuracy. That being said, I also weigh and match the bullets and cases. However, for my pistol rounds 9mm, 45 ACP, and my rifle 223 rounds I use the scale to set up my manual powder measure and just check the charge every hundred rounds or so, I have never had it change.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
am starting to load 5.56mm, and running some single stage runs of various pistol calipers. Is an electronic dispenser worth the cost? Or just use a manual and a good scale like a Dillon?

hate to pop a lot of folk's bubble .. but most times a low cost triple beam scale like RCBS will be more accurate than most digital scales anywhere close to same price range. yes there are lab grade digital scales that will get within accuracy potential of low cost triple beam, but you are talking huge $$$ differences.

I've got all sorts of exotic scales and calibrations standards to check against. what I use to reload is a plain jane RCBS triple beam scales.

source: I'm a calibration standards fanatic with scales ranging from RCBS triple beam to Torbal DRX-3 scales required by Feds for pharmacy use. Torbal DRX-4 below.

www.fulcruminc.net_photo_13643062794s23large.jpg_800_600_4s23large.jpg

Last edited:

Beau

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hate to pop a lot of folk's bubble .. but most times a low cost triple beam scale like RCBS will be more accurate than most digital scales anywhere close to same price range. yes there are lab grade digital scales that will get within accuracy potential of low cost triple beam, but you are talking huge $$$ differences.

I've got all sorts of exotic scales and calibrations standards to check against. what I use to reload is a plain jane RCBS triple beam scales.

source: I'm a calibration standards fanatic with scales ranging from RCBS triple beam to Torbal DRX-3 scales required by Feds for pharmacy use. Torbal DRX-4 below.

www.fulcruminc.net_photo_13643062794s23large.jpg_800_600_4s23large.jpg
Ya a triple beam is very accurate but does it pour the powder for you? I find that it makes my reloading much more efficient since I'm not sitting there measuring powder for an hour before I can start pressing bullets.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are looking for fast, accurate loads one of the electronic dispensing scales would be great. Still worth double checking off of a beam scale every once in awhile till you are very comfortable with it as well as when you reposition or change charges.

Right now I am loading with a beam scale and lee scoops. For 223/5.56 I feel comfortable just using a scoop or an automatic powder measure, for pistol loads I weigh EVERY load and it is time consuming with a scale.

The easiest way to put it is like this:

www.wired.com_wp_content_uploads_2014_08_summer_14_sketches_key7.jpg

I have an idea on how to convert a beam scale into an automatic measure but I don't have the extra cash flow to prototype it quite yet and by the time I do it would likely be easier to just pick up an electronic one. The way I figure it is to attach the scale to a small board so it can be moved, attach a very thin plate to the beam itself that has a small hole drilled in it and in some way set up some light sensors and emitters so that they can be blocked by the plate and give the board the ability to control the powder flow. Two stepper motors attached to two trickle tubes, one fast and one slow will dispense until a certain stop point with a pause point right before that. You would manually set the weight and then have a button that would start the cycle. You would still be able to visually see if the beam is at the correct point but it would greatly speed up the ability to dispense and likely be adaptable to any platform.

The question is do I want to take the time and effort into making this work or do I just buy an automatic and be done with it.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ya a triple beam is very accurate but does it pour the powder for you? I find that it makes my reloading much more efficient since I'm not sitting there measuring powder for an hour before I can start pressing bullets.

note my comments above are specifically about accuracy of scales. since my tendency is weight every powder load, speed is not my concern.

Hornady auto below doesn't look too much faster than a precision manual powder dispenser, followed by weighting on triple beam.

it's not a Harrell's dispenser, but this old Ohaus precision dispenser does a reasonable job.

s25.postimg.org_681nbupe6_DSC05728.jpg

www.hunt101.com_data_556_ohausidealharrell.jpg

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are looking for fast, accurate loads one of the electronic dispensing scales would be great. Still worth double checking off of a beam scale every once in awhile till you are very comfortable with it as well as when you reposition or change charges.

Right now I am loading with a beam scale and lee scoops. For 223/5.56 I feel comfortable just using a scoop or an automatic powder measure, for pistol loads I weigh EVERY load and it is time consuming with a scale.

The easiest way to put it is like this:

www.wired.com_wp_content_uploads_2014_08_summer_14_sketches_key7.jpg

I have an idea on how to convert a beam scale into an automatic measure but I don't have the extra cash flow to prototype it quite yet and by the time I do it would likely be easier to just pick up an electronic one. The way I figure it is to attach the scale to a small board so it can be moved, attach a very thin plate to the beam itself that has a small hole drilled in it and in some way set up some light sensors and emitters so that they can be blocked by the plate and give the board the ability to control the powder flow. Two stepper motors attached to two trickle tubes, one fast and one slow will dispense until a certain stop point with a pause point right before that. You would manually set the weight and then have a button that would start the cycle. You would still be able to visually see if the beam is at the correct point but it would greatly speed up the ability to dispense and likely be adaptable to any platform.

The question is do I want to take the time and effort into making this work or do I just buy an automatic and be done with it.

The big question is how accurate do you need to be? We have had major discussions about Precision Loading. etc. but when it comes down to the bottom line, a standard powder dispenser on a progressive will work for 99% of all shooters and their expectation of accuracy.
If you looking to put in clover leaf holes at whatever distance you will to get into humidity, altitude, exact case dimensions, and other issues.
If your looking at producing a hoser round for short range, or a hunting round that is MOA of deer, the electronic will exceed your expectations.

Latest posts

Top Bottom