reloading shot gun shells, is it worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got wondering the other night as I do when I am trying to sleep or should be asleep to get up to go work the next morning, is it worth it reloading shotgun shells, or just better to buy them ready to go. I was looking at presses and lord they are high dollar for a .410 press its 600 bucks!! Then powder 30 bucks, then lead shot or slugs whatever that cost plus primers then hulls, hardest part was trying to find where to get the stuff, acadamy was no help, bass pro wasn't either they have everything you need for brass or bullets for 9mm, .223 and what not but not much for shotgun let alone .410. I thought it would be cheaper, in the long run, to load your own at what you wanted within reason of course not to make to hot a load and blow a gun apart.

But looks like the biggest cost is a press, there is the think lee load all pending what gauge you need, think 12 is the most common, but kinda wanted to see what is there for .410 out of curiosity more than anything. .410 is most lead shot very few local slugs in .410, 12 gauge there is alot more variety I guess since its more popular and more useful than a smaller .410.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We totalled up my daughter's trap shooting last year vs another friend of her's who's dad reloads, both 12g. By the time all was said and done after about 9000 shells I spent about $150 more. Consider the time spent, it's a toss up I guess. .410, 16g and 28g definitely worth reloading of you're going to shoot very much.

Lonewatie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having a shot maker and your own supply of lead you can save a tiny bit on shells equivalent to the $20 bricks of 12 and 20 at walmart.

The real savings come when you are load matching $9 a box shells, steel, slugs, and things like #4 #5 shot.

Now, trap loads in 7-1/2---8 shot are going to be more consistent than the universals so thats a plus but how much better vs how much more is a question you have to answer.

Obviously 16/28/410 are going to bring the most savings.

Sent from my WIENER using Tapatalk

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started reloading 12 ga and 20 ga almost 30 years ago when I shot a lot of skeet and sporting clays. I shopped deals on components and saved money. Was it worth the effort? Probably not, but I actually enjoyed the loading process. I’ve still got my MEC Sizemasters.

Would I do it again today? Yep, I would.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We totalled up my daughter's trap shooting last year vs another friend of her's who's dad reloads, both 12g. By the time all was said and done after about 9000 shells I spent about $150 more. Consider the time spent, it's a toss up I guess. .410, 16g and 28g definitely worth reloading of you're going to shoot very much.

Totally agree on the trap loads. Buy retail. The difference like you said comes with specialty loads in 12 ga and other obscure loads in different gauges and calibers like .410.
Pheasant loads in 12 ga can run up to $25 per box. .410 run almost twice what a 12 ga load does

One way to reload shot shells more economically is to use reclaimed shot. 1/3 cheaper than factory shot. The reclaimed is a mix of shot though. Reclaimed from trap ranges that can be a mix of #9 to # 6.
I have a RCBS Grand Progressive shot shell reloader. Pretty much only load a few boxes per year for hunting now with lead that cost $25 per bag back in the day that is almost twice that now.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As others have said - you can’t hardly get to the price point of factory value type shotshells for 12 and 20 gauge. I got 8 flats of Remington Gun Club in 20 g for around $4.60 / box (don’t remember exactly) from Gander Mountain with my Good Sam membership, with free shipping, at the beginning of the year. But, I also shoot around 1000 28 g and a 1000 410 bore each year and that is where I really save money by reloading.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
As others have said - you can’t hardly get to the price point of factory value type shotshells for 12 and 20 gauge. I got 8 flats of Remington Gun Club in 20 g for around $4.60 / box (don’t remember exactly) from Gander Mountain with my Good Sam membership, with free shipping, at the beginning of the year. But, I also shoot around 1000 28 g and a 1000 410 bore each year and that is where I really save money by reloading.

Do you shoot registered skeet?

Latest posts

Top Bottom