reloading shot gun shells, is it worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a Mec mark v reloader to do 410 shells and so far im reloading the hulls i got for free for around $25.40 per 100 or $6.35 per 25 round box with #4 and 6 shot. It will take me awhile to pay off the mec from my savings but i can atleast load what i need when i need it as long as i have shot and powder.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do have multiple shotguns for the 4 and 5 gun events or tubes? My daughter is getting ready to start next year most likely.

I’ve got an O/U with Briley full length fitted tubes. I actually shoot 20g in the Doubles and 12g events; 20g is plenty for skeet. In fact, my highest average is actually in the 28g. Others have found that to be the case as well. I shot with a guy from Australia at the World Championship a few years ago. He shot 28g in the Doubles, 12g, 20g, and 28g events.

For a beginning daughter you might want to get the 12g Shotgun fitted with tubes so she has all options in the future. But, I’d consider starting her out with 20g for less recoil. I guess it depends on her sensitivity to recoil. I’ve seen youngsters beat up with a 12g; others no problem and kept coming back for more.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve got an O/U with Briley full length fitted tubes. I actually shoot 20g in the Doubles and 12g events; 20g is plenty for skeet. In fact, my highest average is actually in the 28g. Others have found that to be the case as well. I shot with a guy from Australia at the World Championship a few years ago. He shot 28g in the Doubles, 12g, 20g, and 28g events.

For a beginning daughter you might want to get the 12g Shotgun fitted with tubes so she has all options in the future. But, I’d consider starting her out with 20g for less recoil. I guess it depends on her sensitivity to recoil. I’ve seen youngsters beat up with a 12g; others no problem and kept coming back for more.

Okay thanks, tubes is what I've been looking at. She's been shooting trap for a few years now, 300-400 12g a day for 2-3 days in a row is what she's used to. That doesn't include practice, messing around with skeet, sporting clays, five stand, 4H shoots, Scholastic shoots, etc. That SKB O/U has had the trigger pulled thousands of times every year and has been good to her.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay thanks, tubes is what I've been looking at. She's been shooting trap for a few years now, 300-400 12g a day for 2-3 days in a row is what she's used to. That doesn't include practice, messing around with skeet, sporting clays, five stand, 4H shoots, Scholastic shoots, etc. That SKB O/U has had the trigger pulled thousands of times every year and has been good to her.

Awesome - sounds like she is way beyond beginner. I hope she enjoys Skeet. I’ve met some of the best people on the planet at Skeet shoots.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom