Reloading That was easy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Neighbor has a son that wanted to get into reloading and has been reading all about it and looking at all the tools needed and said to his dad it would be very costly to get into reloading.

I brought him over to the house and ran him through a very basic reloading session.

Took 3 fired .223 cases since he has a .223.
First up is to Inspect them.. One had a crack in the neck. Nice he got to see that.
These were given to me.

Next up 0000 steel wool to the outside of the case and spinning bore brush in a drill ran through the inside of the case.
Wipe them off.
Lube case.
Set up the resizing die and explain what the deprimer pin is.

Resize case.
Wipe off lube.
Brush inside neck again and clean with Q tip.
Chamfer primer pocket Measure OAL chamfer case mouth clean inside again with Q tip.

Seat primer .. weigh powder on a beam scale.. trickle into the case through a funnel.
Set up bullet seating die.. seat bullet .. measure AOL.

Done.

His reply after it was all done was.
That was easy!

Yep.
He said what he read on many forums made it out to be very difficult.
I told him you can do many more things like annealing and pin cleaning etc etc.
Looking for that last little bit of accuracy.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed! Good on you! It would be nice to set up a reloading clinic somewhere that there Corona V ain't got in yet.

Did you go through the book showing him what particular load you decided upon and why?

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We did discuss books and load data and he knew how to read a micrometer and how to use one.
I discussed accuracy nodes in short..Did not have a lot of time.
I told him later I will show him many different things that makes you want your brass back after firing it.

He had been thinking about a 300 blackout upper for his AR we discussed that also.
I think some of the talk and cool factor has bit him.

I told him I like accuracy and if it is not an accurate gun then it is really not much fun to shoot.
Cant' hit what you aim at makes you feel like a dud.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
We did discuss books and load data and he knew how to read a micrometer and how to use one.
I discussed accuracy nodes in short..Did not have a lot of time.
I told him later I will show him many different things that makes you want your brass back after firing it.

He had been thinking about a 300 blackout upper for his AR we discussed that also.
I think some of the talk and cool factor has bit him.

I told him I like accuracy and if it is not an accurate gun then it is really not much fun to shoot.
Cant' hit what you aim at makes you feel like a dud.

Talk him out of the 300 black! It is so limiting. Tell him about 6.5 Grendel. Good for varmint and up to white tail and can take it out to 600 plus yards!!
And no I am not biased at all!!:bolt::cool:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did not want to step on toes of the 300 blackout guys so I refrained from telling you guys what I said to him.
All my friends that got them sold them.
I also said the little .223 with a 55gr V-Max is what I grab now when I head to the hunting woods for under 250 yard stuff. Not broke so don't try and fix it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom