Reloading.... Where To Start?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
There’s a variety of good reading on reloading and plenty of reloading manuals on my drive. I would suggest grabbing a newer manual with up to date info, and then between that and the info on the drive you should be able to find most of what you need.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JSplqF9XaDDQTz1a7myKucHnFSQx2oBA?usp=sharing
I have DL'd a bunch of that. Good info.

Ammo I would primarily reload is 9mm, 45, .223, .308 and Im sure a few other rifle calibers that Im not thinking of.......
I would say, that even now, those four cartridges are probably cheaper to buy in bulk than to reload, or real close to it. I've done the math and it's not worth it, especially when I need to use components for the hard to get or expensive cartridges. However, almost anything revolver and levergun, small auto (32 and 380 ACP, etc), and precision long range, hunting rounds, and straight walls are well worth it.

Example:
45 Colt is more than a buck a round. With all new components and current prices, I can load it at about half depending on where I get my brass. Using once fired of my own, it's around 30 cents.

.444 Marlin is about $3 or more a round; I can load it for about 60 cents-ish.

9 ball is about $.29-.$.35 per round. I can load it for about the same price, so it's not worth it.

panayoti

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first 357 loads were keyholing after 3 cylinders of ammo was fired. I learned the difference between hard cast and swaged lead bullets.

New reloaders want to magnumize everything. Load for accuracy. Midrange or light loads are easier on the gun and the shooter. Brass will last longer and powder will go further.

delta6

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you buy bullets in bulk you can load 9MM 115 grain ammunition for $223-240/1000.

115 Gr. Coated bullet (9mm) $.07 per round--$70/1K

231 or similar powder (4.6 grains) $.026-.03 per round--$28/1K

Primers $.10 per round--$100/1K

9MM cases $.02-.025 per round--$25/1K

The second time around you can be under $200 if you save your brass.

96A1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, It wasn’t helpful but it’s totally true. This is a horrible time to get into the hobby. It’s like graduating from diapers to toilet training as a child only to find out it’s the first month of Covid and your parents can’t find TP anywhere.

96A1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first 357 loads were keyholing after 3 cylinders of ammo was fired. I learned the difference between hard cast and swaged lead bullets.

New reloaders want to magnumize everything. Load for accuracy. Midrange or light loads are easier on the gun and the shooter. Brass will last longer and powder will go further.

cant tell you how many split casings I picked up last time I was on the range. Not mine obviously, but I had to pop the primer back out after catching a glimpse, several times, of light passing through a hair line all the way down. It was at that point I took the bedroom lamp and put it on the desk for extra light, permanently!

how someone split so many casings I’ll never know. Back when I had my private place I’d load the same brass 20 times and not see any cracks.

it’s like they hate their palms.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been reloading for awhile and I still buy reloading supplies so is it a bad time to get into reloading.
No.
I did some math on .243 rounds and at today's stupid prices.
It would cost me 15 bucks to make 20 rounds of good ammo with H4350 powder that is at 44 bucks a pound for powder.
And a bit over 80 for primers.

Cast pistol loads are still very cheap to build

Latest posts

Top Bottom