Reloading.... Where To Start?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allmac

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking at the Dillion presses last night. I probably would have just bought one of the mid range multi stage presses and kits except for the fact that most of their dies are backordered over 60 weeks!

Thank you so much. I may take you up on that. And thank you to all the others who offered the same that I didnt quote

I read that whole thread.....Of course AFTER I posted my question. Lol
You can use any company's dies in a Dillon XL750. The only proprietary die on that machine is the powder die, which are in stock. In addition to dies, you'll also need the "caliber conversion" kit for each caliber that you plan to load. Caliber Conversion kits are proprietary and I believe some calibers are out of stock at Dillon, but are available from other vendors.

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My absolute bottom line of reloading is to not buy cheap thinking your going to "get by" while learning the ropes.
Buy the best. Buy once, cry once. You will regret ignoring that advice.
That was my biggest question. I dont see myself having the patience for too long with less than at least a turret press

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you all. As I get closer to buying I am sure I will revisit this thread over and over
I bought a used Dillon 550b and have just dabbled with it over the years. I'm just starting to actually get serious about reloading. Keep us posted please, maybe us rookies can help each other out with things that DON'T work lol.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was my biggest question. I dont see myself having the patience for too long with less than at least a turret press
Setting up turrets can be a lesson in humility, but once it's done, it'll run. I've always heard to start with a single stage press to focus on the steps, but I think a lot of the progressives these days can be much easier to set up than they were years ago. The biggest issue that most will have with one is forgetting to remove the crimp from military brass. That one primer upset can start a chain reaction of spilled powder and cussing.

glockadict

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I second the Dillon suggestion. The lifetime warranty is no BS and hassle free. You break something, you call, they replace it. They also have a higher resale value because of that. I started with a 550 and went to a 650 years and years ago. You'll get frustrated quick trying to load volume pistol on a single stage press. I suggest carbide dies also. My preference is Dillon or Redding dies. Like suggested before start with low pressure straight wall pistol calibers, then when you get VERY comfortable with that, move to rifle. The case prep on rifle is much more involved. H&H offers reloading classes for $60 I believe to get you started. YouTube and forums are obviously another good source of information.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best advice I ever got (about 50 years ago) was buy a good reloading manual and read all the how to reload instructions first.

So even if you buy a kit or all your equipment separately take the time to read the book before jumping in. Most of the manuals it’s only a chapter or two.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom