Reloading.... Where To Start?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96A1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been reloading for awhile and I still buy reloading supplies so is it a bad time to get into reloading.
No.
I did some math on .243 rounds and at today's stupid prices.
It would cost me 15 bucks to make 20 rounds of good ammo with H4350 powder that is at 44 bucks a pound for powder.
And a bit over 80 for primers.

Cast pistol loads are still very cheap to build
4350 is $44?!?!

holy shite.

My top powder for rifle in general is Benchmark and I paid $28 back in June 2020. I’ve got tons of it, glad about that

and I would never pay $80 for a brick of primers, not unless I was sorely desperate!

take my “2017” reply into consideration with what I’m about to say. It doesn’t matter now but bear with me.

Primers, whichever flavor and brand you want : $38 a brick, $25 on sale (that’s when I loaded up each time)

Powder, as a rule : $20-29 a lb

Brass, available at the local range because people were STILL SHOOTING EVERY DAY (!!!) : freeeeeee

Projos : depends, but usually under $100/1,000 for most everything if you have a good supplier.

my 9mm is still $0.14 a round with JHPs and nickel cases.

that’s why I replied like i did initially.

Like I said, it doesn’t make a difference now but just for a history lesson. I know we all think that this is the final marker in the sand, but the truth is, this kind of stuff has been happening for a very long time. People thought this way in the 80s when Reagan made automatic weapons illegal without a special license. Happened in the 90s with Clinton and his AWB. Happened after 9/11. Happened after War on Terror. Happened after Obama election. Happened after Sandy Hook. Happened when HRC got the nomination as the Dem candidate.

Probably happened in the 70s too. I wasn’t alive then.

I’m not advising to wait, but I am also saying this has happened before and it will subside…I personally think it is a bad time both to get into shooting and to get into reloading. If a Republican gets back in office, things will go back to normal and there will be a lot of people putting their face in their palms. Everything will be cheap again. Eventually. Maybe free after you shoot down your opponent in a civil war.

Last edited:

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
4350 is $44?!?!

holy shite.

My top powder for rifle in general is Benchmark and I paid $28 back in June 2020. I’ve got tons of it, glad about that

and I would never pay $80 for a brick of primers, not unless I was sorely desperate!

take my “2017” reply into consideration with what I’m about to say. It doesn’t matter now but bear with me.

Primers, whichever flavor and brand you want : $38 a brick, $25 on sale (that’s when I loaded up each time)

Powder, as a rule : $20-29 a lb

Brass, available at the local range because people were STILL SHOOTING EVERY DAY (!!!) : freeeeeee

Projos : depends, but usually under $100/1,000 for most everything if you have a good supplier.

my 9mm is still $0.14 a round with JHPs and nickel cases.

that’s why I replied like i did initially.

Like I said, it doesn’t make a difference now but just for a history lesson. I know we all think that this is the final marker in the sand, but the truth is, this kind of stuff has been happening for a very long time. People thought this way in the 80s when Reagan made automatic weapons illegal without a special license. Happened in the 90s with Clinton and his AWB. Happened after 9/11. Happened after War on Terror. Happened after Obama election. Happened after Sandy Hook. Happened when HRC got the nomination as the Dem candidate.

Probably happened in the 70s too. I wasn’t alive then.

I’m not advising to wait, but I am also saying this has happened before and it will subside…I personally think it is a bad time both to get into shooting and to get into reloading. If a Republican gets back in office, things will go back to normal and there will be a lot of people putting their face in their palms. Everything will be cheap again. Eventually. Maybe free after you shoot down your opponent in a civil war.
I agree - things have gone through this cycle before and will again
just look around - all the shelves are full of ammo - some on-line offering "sale" prices - some still way too high
even primers and powder coming available on a fairly regular basis
those buying all they can get their hands on at these prices will be sitting on a bunch expensive ammo
and they will feel odd shooting it when they can buy it at retail for 1/2 the price
JMO

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@96A1 and @crapsguy i hope you guys are correct in prices coming down.

I remember around 2009 the first Neck beard hoard that i know of 555 count .22 long rifle was $18 a box.
I eventually went up and up and up and has not came down and is around 50 bucks if you find it.

Just saying I hope things do come back down but finding (good) people to work for less than 20 bucks an hour is a task also
that i think will not get any easier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom