Remember when Dr. Drew made comments on Hillary's possible health problems and then got fired?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw a guy order blue rare at the bar of a Texas Roadhouse. He had to send it back because they overcooked it. I had my doubts they would get it right when he placed the order.
I like mine on the cooler side of medium rare, and typically have to order a rare to get it close, but most still come out medium rare to medium. It's hard to find a steakhouse that can get it right consistently. I guess they can't afford instant read thermometers that can be used on an entire grill full of steaks to check each one's progress, or at the least learn how to touch one with a fork to check how well it's cooked.
I can touch a steak with my fork when it comes to the table and tell you exactly how it's cooked before cutting into it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Black-and-blue (or Pittsburgh rare) is the way to go. Cooked nicely on the outside to get a nice crust and develop flavor, but rare enough on the inside that a good vet could still save it.

Takes a very hot fire and a skilled cook to do it right, but it's amazing.
Sous vide method, and a 600-800 degree infrared charring grill does it perfectly. 15-20 seconds per side.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you use for a sous vide temperature?
Per a suggestion from another OSA member, I use the Inkbird 308 temperature controller with a crock pot.
I can set the span on the controller to +- one degree and it holds it as long as the crock pot has a lid on it, and even then, I'll put a couple of dish towells on top to help insulate it further, running the crock pot on low to not overshoot the temps.
https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc-...2&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=inkbird+itc-308&psc=1

$35 to buy. It can be used for heating or cooling. You can save a couple of bucks by getting 306 T model which is the one that only heats if desired.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Per a suggestion from another OSA member, I use the Inkbird 308 temperature controller with a crock pot.
I can set the span on the controller to +- one degree and it holds it as long as the crock pot has a lid on it, and even then, I'll put a couple of dish towells on top to help insulate it further, running the crock pot on low to not overshoot the temps.
https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc-...2&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=inkbird+itc-308&psc=1

$35 to buy. It can be used for heating or cooling. You can save a couple of bucks by getting 306 T model which is the one that only heats if desired.
I'm sorry, I may not have been clear. I meant what do you use as a temperature setpoint, not what kind of controller do you use.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
119 degrees for a rare to medium rare, 124 for medium rare, and 129 for medium rare to medium. (half way between MR and M)

Each temp is a tad low to allow for additional heat to soak into the meat during the rest after searing.

Edit: The Sous Vide is the only method I've found to finish a well done steak without turning it into a lump of charcoal like my wife prefers.
You're starting out with the internal temps being way above room temp so it can cook internally a lot quicker.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the '70's, I drove 18-wheelers and we had another driver that used to be a short order cook. He told the story of a guy that came in the restaurant where he was cooking and asked the waitress if he could "instruct" the cook on doing his steak rare. My friend had him come back into the kitchen and pick out a steak. As soon as he tossed it on the grill, the customer was shouting, "turn it over..turn it over." My friend turned it over and then the customer shouted, "take it off..take it off."

Even my friend thought the guy was nuts.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the '70's, I drove 18-wheelers and we had another driver that used to be a short order cook. He told the story of a guy that came in the restaurant where he was cooking and asked the waitress if he could "instruct" the cook on doing his steak rare. My friend had him come back into the kitchen and pick out a steak. As soon as he tossed it on the grill, the customer was shouting, "turn it over..turn it over." My friend turned it over and then the customer shouted, "take it off..take it off."

Even my friend thought the guy was nuts.
Lemme guess... the other driver's name was Dennis... :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom