Remember when...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could walk into almost any pawn shop and pick up a Ruger 10/22 for just over $100.00 and Marlin 60's were $75 to $100. Really wasn't that long ago, I have a 90% 60's 10/22 I paid $125.00 for and a stainless Marlin 60 I bought for $50 because it had a broken trigger guard. Now you see stuff like a Browning pistol listed for $125.00 over what you can buy a new one for and any 10/22 asking price is over $250.00. Glad I got when the gettin was good.

Things one thinks about when you can't sleep.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad I bought one of these when I could.

E31F1A5E-8D0F-4812-8C2A-8A498D0AD8DD.jpeg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember Atwood's having 10/22's on sale for $149 and that's been within the last two years. I don't remember which stock it had, but I almost bought one because it was only $149, and I don't even like 10/22's that much. :rollingla

Black synthetic stock.
I had one and traded it off I am about accuracy and reliability and out of the box this Ruger was not up to my standards.
In fact No Ruger that I ever had was worth buying.
I will never buy another Ruger anything.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Black synthetic stock.
I had one and traded it off I am about accuracy and reliability and out of the box this Ruger was not up to my standards.

I have two Ruger 10/22 and they have had thousands of rounds through them. The grand kids shoot them well. Are they a high priced precision 22 ...........no, but reliable. Had a Ruger SR9C that was very accurate and never had any failures. Gave it to my brother.....wish I had kept it. Someone might accuse you of being prejudiced. :)

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Black synthetic stock.

I like Ruger. Are they top of the line? No. Are they a good value for the price? They used to be at least. I like their pistols and the Ruger American Predator in .223 I have is a tack driver. I have a 10/22 but rarely shoot it. I prefer my old Savage rifles.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That 10-22 I got was jamming a minimum of 2 times for every magazine full.
I tried 3 different brands of .22.
Accuracy at 50 yards was in the area of 2" at best.
A Ruger BlackHawk Bisley 6 shot 45 Colt had the barrel pinched down where it screwed into the frame .MY Smith & Wesson is the same way Sad.
At least the Smith chambers all measure the same.
The Ruger was .0035" different for the largest and no 2 holes measured the same.

My Ruger .308 had flaws in the chamber like the finish reamer was broken.
Accuracy was terrible.
I do not like to send stuff back for repair.
The Ruger is what I use to shoot mouse fart .308 cast loads now.

Great for that.

Not prejudiced but I will not be fooled 4 times into buying another Ruger.
I will not be fooled into buying another revolver without slugging the barrel either and measuring everything.
:)

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't tell you how many $25 marlin 60 beaters I fixed up and sold off over the years. Terrific little plinkers, easy to work on. No telling how many OSA members have their kids and grandkids shooting on a 22 I rebuilt. It's gotta be 20-25.

I'm a Ruger 10/22 fan boy. At last count, I was in the double digits. Some look like AR's, others like a g36, fal, m1, even had one with a 30" barrel and a barrett m82 type muzzle break on it. Sure, out of the box a cheap plinker isn't much in terms of accuracy, but the fun of it is dumping a grand into one and measuring .30 groups at a century mark and hearing that thud of striking a prairie dog. Somehow it seems more humane than cutting one in half with the 284 norma.

Latest posts

Top Bottom