Remington 1100 barrel options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HymieP

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an 1980's era Remington 1100 in 12 gauge that has the fixed barrel. Can I purchase a new barrel equipped with "Rem chokes", or have gunsmith machine current barrel?

Which would be better?

Thanks
Jamie

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should be able to buy a replacement barrel with the chokes and just swap it out. Make sure you get a barrel for the 1100, NOT the 11-87, they are nor interchangeable. Option two- I can tap and thread your existing barrel for Rem-chokes. PM if interested.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know a lot of those remington barrels are not bored center, We ran into that back in the 80's. We had to use a different brand chokes that were thinner and use the corresponding tap. It was more of a win choke type. If you tried to use a remchoke the barrel thickness would be paper thin after reaming it. Have the barrel measured for thickness.

HymieP

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been in contact with David at SPD Guns. I am giving him my barrel to have "Rem chokes" installed. I think you can still get a new barrel from Remington, but customer service is lacking. I left a message and sent an e-mail over a week ago, haven't heard a thing. smh
Jamie

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know a lot of those remington barrels are not bored center, We ran into that back in the 80's. We had to use a different brand chokes that were thinner and use the corresponding tap. It was more of a win choke type. If you tried to use a remchoke the barrel thickness would be paper thin after reaming it. Have the barrel measured for thickness.
Ya mean like this??? This is from an older 870 that was shortened. This is actually not uncommon in the middle of the barrels on the older guns. However, they were good to go at the muzzle where it counts.

Attachments

• IMG_8448.JPG
    IMG_8448.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 55

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes you can

And yes you can

I had an 1100 12ga. Bought a new barrel for it. Later had the "old" tapped for chokes.

Took son's 870 20 ga and had it tapped, too.

IIRC, they used Tru-Chokes, not Remchoke, because of the thinner choke walls. This was 30 years ago, the 870 is still going strong. My 1100 was stolen, so can't say.

Latest posts

Top Bottom