Remington 700 223 help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEFFBIGWOOD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Remington 700 223 that I get light primer strikes on and I can’t figure out what is causing it. I have put a new firing pin assembly in it and tried and new bolt body. I also found out that extractors are almost impossible to find. Is there anyone around okc or Oklahoma that knows Remington 700s and could help figure out and fix the issue? Gun shoots great that’s only reason why I want to get it fixed! Thanks.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Remington 700 223 that I get light primer strikes on and I can’t figure out what is causing it. I have put a new firing pin assembly in it and tried and new bolt body. I also found out that extractors are almost impossible to find. Is there anyone around okc or Oklahoma that knows Remington 700s and could help figure out and fix the issue? Gun shoots great that’s only reason why I want to get it fixed! Thanks.

Have you checked firing pin protrusion? There are several videos/articles on how to do it, and all you need is a dial caliper.

I have the same issue with a $1,500 Bergara Premier rifle. New firing pin spring and cleaned the assembly etc... Protrusion is only .047", where it should be at least .055 IIRC. Some guys said .047 is fine, but Matt Stewart at Stewart Rifles LLC suggested I let him turn the shoulder of the pin assembly down. He's suspect of the .047 too. I still haven't got it over to him.

My workaround was to switch to Federal primers. This cured my problem (misfires were all CCI primers). If you don't reload though this can be a problem.

I'd still start at checking protrusion and see if that is where the issue lays before going further. It could be that your bolt head is out of spec since you already swapped firing pin assemblies. (Have you checked the hole in the bolt head too?)

If protrusion is okay, then I'm suspect of a chamber that was cut too deeply... the way for me to check since I have a Hornady comparator set is to measure to the shoulder off of a fired piece of brass and compare to the SAAMI spec. If that is your problem, it will need to get returned to Remington or fixed by a competent 'smith.

JEFFBIGWOOD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you checked firing pin protrusion? There are several videos/articles on how to do it, and all you need is a dial caliper.

I have the same issue with a $1,500 Bergara Premier rifle. New firing pin spring and cleaned the assembly etc... Protrusion is only .047", where it should be at least .055 IIRC. Some guys said .047 is fine, but Matt Stewart at Stewart Rifles LLC suggested I let him turn the shoulder of the pin assembly down. He's suspect of the .047 too. I still haven't got it over to him.

My workaround was to switch to Federal primers. This cured my problem (misfires were all CCI primers). If you don't reload though this can be a problem.

I'd still start at checking protrusion and see if that is where the issue lays before going further. It could be that your bolt head is out of spec since you already swapped firing pin assemblies. (Have you checked the hole in the bolt head too?)

If protrusion is okay, then I'm suspect of a chamber that was cut too deeply... the way for me to check since I have a Hornady comparator set is to measure to the shoulder off of a fired piece of brass and compare to the SAAMI spec. If that is your problem, it will need to get returned to Remington or fixed by a competent 'smith.
Man I really don’t have the know how to check these properly. I am hoping to find someone that can help me out to figure it out and fix it. Will pay of course I am just sick of messing with it. It would shoot factory 55gr hornady vmax just fine and never miss fired those but pretty much everything else you would get random light primer strikes. Remington won’t mess with it because it was prior to the new ownership.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a customer with the same issue on a 30-06 a couple months ago. Bolt was FILLED with oil. Degreased the firing assy and it ran fine.

^ This is another possibility. Some guys dump oil down the firing pin hole during cleaning, which mixes with the grease over time and turns to gunk that slows the pin down or buffers it against the back of the bolt face.

There are multiple videos on YouTube showing how to take a 700 bolt apart with a shoelace.