Remington 870 or Mossberg 590?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or you could go Benelli and not have to worry about malfunctions.

LOL! Every gun malfs and I've seen plenty of M2's malf. Hell, I've seen more malfs with an M2 then I have an 870. Plus, I'm not one to pay 1K+ for a shotgun and I'm sure there are a ton in the same boat as me. I don't hunt waterfowl, I don't 3 gun, and my department doesn't allow semi auto shotguns so I have ZERO needs for an semi auto shotgun and have even less need for a 1K+ shotgun. If I ever have an itch and want to play with a Benelli, I have access to an AI Benelli... I never get that itch though.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
LOL! Every gun malfs and I've seen plenty of M2's malf. Hell, I've seen more malfs with an M2 then I have an 870. Plus, I'm not one to pay 1K+ for a shotgun and I'm sure there are a ton in the same boat as me. I don't hunt waterfowl, I don't 3 gun, and my department doesn't allow semi auto shotguns so I have ZERO needs for an semi auto shotgun and have even less need for a 1K+ shotgun. If I ever have an itch and want to play with a Benelli, I have access to an AI Benelli... I never get that itch though.

My AI M2 is the only gun I've ever owned that I would be totally confused how to clear a malf from. I rarely clean it, it just keeps on chugging

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I definitely experienced a few operator induced malfunctions with my 870 during one of the skill drills in the shotgun class I took a few weekends ago. I found out how easy it is to short stroke the action while shooting under a small amount of pressure.

Last edited:

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never remember short stroking an 870. The 870 is an all around better gun thanot the mossberg. There have been issues of burrs in the chamber of some of the newer barrels, but I prefer older 870's anyway.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I definitely experienced a few operator induced malfunctions with my 870 during one of the skill drills in the shotgun class I took a few weekends ago. I found out how easy it is to short stroke the action while shooting under a small amount of pressure.
Which is why I do not recommend a pump gun for home defense. Most people do not take advanced training, they buy the cheapest pump shotgun they can find and assure themselves they are well protected.
I'm betting 90% of the people on OSA have never shot more than a few boxes of ammo through their home defense shotgun. I'd put money on it.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's all about training, practice, and determination, not equipment. If you train and practice with a semi/pump/double barrel you will know what works and what doesn't and you will be able to operate it in a time of stress....

My HD shotgun- Remington 870 Tactical. Scattergun +1 extension, ported barrel, ghost rear/tritium front, oversized safety, tuned and smoothed action, GG&G follower, Surefire forend, Hogue short stock.
IMG_3293.JPG

Last edited:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was able to
I never remember short stroking an 870. The 870 is an all around better gun thanot the mossberg. There have been issues of burrs in the chamber of some of the newer barrels, but I prefer older 870's anyway.

I ran a brush hone down a barrel that was a little sticky extracting the cheap "low brass" birdshot.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 590A1 is quite a step up from the base model 500 and a huge step up from the new 870 Express models. I had a 870E and it would barely eject empty hulls if you pumped it like you were trying to break it. They would fall right beside you and if it even thought you might have short stroked it you got the death jam from hell. This 590 throws them 5 feet so no worries as long as you stroke it fully, it also has the best trigger of any long gun in my safe too.

After having that 870 I wouldn't think about shooting anything bigger than dove or squirrel with it. If you want an 870, pony up the cash and buy one from Wilson Combat. That's the only one I'd want since Wingmasters are basically extinct and by the time you paid the premium for it and got all the mods on and in it you are almost at Wilson Combat money anyway. On a budget the 590 wins hands down.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How much of a difference is there between a 870 Police Magnum and a Wilson Combat? I seem to recall the Police Magnums are or were built on a separate line than the standard 870s.