Remington 870 or Mossberg 590?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A 00 buck load of 12 ga is like getting hit a nine 9mm rounds all at the same time. I've heard it stated it's a submachine gun burst with every shot, but the reality is even worse than that if you are on the receiving end because it hits all at once. My preferred load is Winchester buffered #1 buck but it's about as hard to find as Federal flite control in #1. I'll take 16 almost .30 caliber rounds in each trigger pull.
:fullauto:

memori

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as birdshot for home defense goes, it you use a powerful enough load it will be effective.

This guy's videos are great btw.
As far as Remington goes, I'm wary of any of their shotguns that were made after 2007 when they were acquired by Cerberus.
Their firearms quality really went downhill after that, although I hear that their 1911's are good.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've looked off and on for a cheap old beater 12ga A5 Browning over the years. Haven't found one cheap enough, everybody seems to think they are ALL collectable. My idea is to cut it down in the stock about 3" and put a pad on it. Then chop the barrel to 18" and get an extended tube for it made. Clyde Barrow was murdering scum but he did know his weapons.

After looking and looking I found the perfect project gun and brought it home today. A 1955 Browning A5 12ga without a vent rib. Has a split forearm that had been taped together and is beat to hell (mostly on the wood) but seems good mechanically. I can't fathom somebody neglecting these fine guns like this one has been. It even has engraving on the top of the barrel where a vent rib usually is. That is craftsmanship from days we'll never see again. :(

But she is going to transform into a great HD gun and "shine" again, just in a different way. This may well be my first foray into NFA too. Leaning hard that way since I can't find a magazine extension tube anywhere so it just seems right to chop the barrel about 1/4" in front of the nut.
:rubhands:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Attachments

• A5 SBS.jpg
    A5 SBS.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 147