Remington Arms allowed to be sued by Sandy Hook victims

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After months of silence, the Connecticut Supreme Court on Thursday reinstated a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the families of nine victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting against Remington Arms, the manufacturer of the rifle used in the shooting.

The court's narrow decision, overturning a lower court judge, rules that Remington can be sued over its marketing practices under a Connecticut state law, despite protections offered to gun manufacturers by federal law. The ruling sends the case back to the lower court.

The suit is a high-stakes challenge to gun companies, which have rarely been held liable for crimes committed with their products, and could mark a new front in the battle over gun regulations and corporate accountability. It centers on the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA), a 2005 law that shields manufacturers and retailers from civil liability in lawsuits brought by victims of gun violence. An eventual ruling against Remington could establish legal precedent, opening doors for more lawsuits against gun manufacturers, and expose the company's communications about its marketing plans.

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/14/7034...inst-gun-manufacturer-allowed-to-move-forward

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is currently in state courts, so if the manufacturers appeal it to a federal court, it may end right there. If necessary, I see it going all the way to the Supreme Court. Manufacturers would pay less in attorney fees and filings than in "restitution" to victims' families.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is currently in state courts, so if the manufacturers appeal it to a federal court, it may end right there. If necessary, I see it going all the way to the Supreme Court. Manufacturers would pay less in attorney fees and filings than in "restitution" to victims' families.
Agree, but they have to fight this to the end. If they lose, they set a precedent where other manufacturers of our daily devices could be sued. The results would be devastating to our country.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they lose, it will open the door for a barrage of lawsuits which will culminate in bankruptcy for firearms industry. It's a great way for the left to eventually achieve their ban on firearms in practice, if not in name.

Then it'll be the fast food chains, etc., being sued for heart disease. You don't think there're millions of memos around McDonald's corporate offices about how to get kiddos hooked on their products, eventually leading to obesity, diabetes, heart disease and death? Just wait...

Anything, anything at all to distract from this country's failure to demand PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, if I were a knife, baseball bat, crowbar, tire tool, or (whatever) mfr... I'd be kinda nervous.

Unless the firearm malfunctioned, there should be no liability IMO.

This already has happen, an Iditarod musher (Mitch Seavy (sp)) sue Oregon knife company and Sportsman's Warehouse for cutting himself with a knife that he careless used. I can't remember whatever became of the law sue. You can fix STUPID so, someone needs to pay for.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
This already has happen, an Iditarod musher (Mitch Seavy (sp)) sue Oregon knife company and Sportsman's Warehouse for cutting himself with a knife that he careless used. I can't remember whatever became of the law sue. You can fix STUPID so, someone needs to pay for.

You can't fix stupid.... but you sure can subsidize it!

Latest posts

Top Bottom