Remodeling The House...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a guy from Andersen Windows come out last week for an older house we a remodeling before moving in. The house has 13 half- size casement windows and two big picture windows. $43,000! ’bout swallowed my tongue. Salesman said most people estimate about half of the actual cost. We won’t be getting Andersen windows.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got about 1/2 the cabinets stained and started installing them. It's slow going because I've never done this before. The fact that nothing is square or plumb really makes things fun, too.

I did get the over-the-stove microwave installed today.

The hardest part about installing the microwave was figuring out how to get power up there to the upper cabinet. There was an unused wire from taking out the old stove hood. So I had power available. But figuring out how to get it up to the cabinet was a challenge. But...nothing a sawzall can't fix! :)

I actually found the box the old vent was in, installed an electrical box in there, was able to drill thru a stud where the existing wire was and eventually got the wire fished thru the hole (I should've cussed more) and into the box. After that it was pretty simple to cut out an outlet box in the upper cabinet and run a wire straight up the wall. Installed the outlet and that was that.
MW Electrical.jpg

Microwave.jpg

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I got industrious and after she cleaned out the guest room closet, I painted the walls. I painted the was the same color as all the other closet walls, her special grey. Guess what? I painted it the wrong color. The closet is supposed to be white because grey is too dark for the inside of a non illuminated closet.

:explode:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Long story warning...

20220413_182350.jpg

So, I measured the wall to the right of that brown door. I measured wrong. We bought a 39" base and wall cabinet to go into the space to the right of the door/left of the black fridge on the right edge of the picture. Because I screwed up the measurement, the 39" cabinets won't fit. They go right to the edge of the door frame but the fridge panel between the cabinets won't fit.

Well, luckily, that door frame was oversized for the door I bought. Too small for the next largest door, though. Turns out, I could take the door off, take the old 1/2" thick trim piece off the right side of the door opening (I just left it in place when I installed the door), nail up a 2x4 on the left side of the opening and re-install the door. That'll give me an extra nearly 3" of space to make the 39" cabinets fit with room to spare and I don't have to do anything else.

I was thinking it was actually a fatal blunder...turns out I got lucky. I'd rather be lucky than good anyway... :)

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a guy from Andersen Windows come out last week for an older house we a remodeling before moving in. The house has 13 half- size casement windows and two big picture windows. $43,000! ’bout swallowed my tongue. Salesman said most people estimate about half of the actual cost. We won’t be getting Andersen windows.

Heard something about this today at our church "small group" meeting. They had also received a very high estimate from Anderson. They are now looking into Champion Windows.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

don’t get a quote from Woodbridge…. Would probably be double that.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Almost done with the overhaul of the kitchen. We're waiting for a some alder plywood so I can make an upper moulding piece above the cabinets. We also need to decide on a light fixture and on some additional lights to put over the sink. I need to run a gas line so I can get rid of that damned electric range. Other than that, the kitchen/dining room is done. We did everything ourselves except for installing the countertops. So far we're really pleased with the results.

Before (from the original listing):
Before sm.jpg

After:
After sm.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom