Removing a live primer...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How difficult is it?

Obviously I don't want to drive it out with a hammer... :D

I'm thinking about disabling a few rounds (of the actual 9mm ammo I use) for dummy loads to visually check feed alignment & such. I could slowly drill a small hole through the end of the bullet, dump the powder and then press out the primer via said bullet hole.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Or should I just stick with live rounds?

Thanks.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WD 40 will deactivate the primer. If you have a bullet-puller, use that to remove the bullet, dump the powder and spray WD 40 into the case. Let it set for a day or so and then remove the primer.

Or, once the bullet is gone and the powder dumped, chamber the case and pull the trigger.

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not be in any hurry to use a drill on on live cartridge. Bullet puller is a much better idea.

However, I have on occasion VERY carefully removed live primers from an otherwise empty cartridge case using a depriming die on a reloading press. I haven't had one go off when doing this, but I eye protection and a light touch on the press lever are a must.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not sure I understand what/why you are asking. Are you just wanting some dummy rounds and you do NOT reload? If that is the case, I would highly recommend you find somebody nearby who does reload. I bet there is somebody here on the forum who lives near you and would be glad to help. It's a pretty simple task if you have the reloading equipment. Pull the bullet, save the bullet and dispose of the powder. Then, either chamber the empty round and pop the cap in a safe environment (safest); or, as has been mentioned, you can (with proper caution) punch out the live primer in your press. I have actually punched out quite a few with a universal decapping die and never had a problem, but I am very cautious. Does that answer your question, or am I misunderstanding?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How difficult is it?

Obviously I don't want to drive it out with a hammer... :D

I'm thinking about disabling a few rounds (of the actual 9mm ammo I use) for dummy loads to visually check feed alignment & such. I could slowly drill a small hole through the end of the bullet, dump the powder and then press out the primer via said bullet hole.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Or should I just stick with live rounds?

Thanks.

It is not tough to do at all. Send me a PM and I will either do it for ya, or make ya some dummies with the COL as prescribed.

Dave

There you go! Dave to the rescue!

Latest posts

Top Bottom