Removing a live primer...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, forgot to mention I don't reload... :D

The reason I wanted to deactivate live rounds, is so they're exactly the same size as the two 9mm rounds I normally use (MagTech 124gr JHP, and Federal 115gr FMJ).

I'm not worried about drilling through the bullet, my concern was putting pressure on the inside of the primer to remove it.

It is not tough to do at all. Send me a PM and I will either do it for ya, or make ya some dummies with the COL as prescribed.

Dave
Thanks, but I'm not sure what would happen if the post office would catch the rounds in transit. Best case, we'd probably have to explain to someone they're deactivated, and worst case, it might be after we bail out of jail the next morning... :D

If it's going to be a big deal, I can just use live rounds to check stuff as I've been doing for years.

I really appreciate everyone's replies. :drunk2:

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, forgot to mention I don't reload... :D

The reason I wanted to deactivate live rounds, is so they're exactly the same size as the two 9mm rounds I normally use (MagTech 124gr JHP, and Federal 115gr FMJ).

I'm not worried about drilling through the bullet, my concern was putting pressure on the inside of the primer to remove it.

Thanks, but I'm not sure what would happen if the post office would catch the rounds in transit. Best case, we'd probably have to explain to someone they're deactivated, and worst case, it might be after we bail out of jail the next morning... :D

If it's going to be a big deal, I can just use live rounds to check stuff as I've been doing for years.

I really appreciate everyone's replies. :drunk2:

As far as I know there isn't much issue with mailing ammo.

Also you could simply replicate the size of the round you use by creating a measured dummy round. It's easy and I'd do it if you're round stilly.

Your best bet is to just get yourself a Lee Handloading kit and to simply deactivate and reassemble the round. Best Pawn has one for $50 and the owner is a very nice guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could resize a few cases and get them to where all you had to do was push the bullets in, you can use a tubing cutter to close the flare on the case once the bullet is to desired length.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as I know there isn't much issue with mailing ammo.
"Shipping Restrictions

Can you ship it?

Can you mail alcohol? Beer? Cigarettes? Fruits and vegetables? If you have any questions about whether or not the contents of your shipment can be shipped by USPS®, consult the lists of prohibited and restricted items below. The lists are not exhaustive, so if you’re looking for information not covered below, please refer to the resources available under Helpful Links.

All prohibited domestic items are also prohibited from being shipped internationally. However, some items that are prohibited from being shipped internationally can shipped domestically, with some restrictions.

Prohibited Domestic Items

* Air bags
* Ammunition
* Explosives
* Gasoline"

https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could resize a few cases and get them to where all you had to do was push the bullets in, you can use a tubing cutter to close the flare on the case once the bullet is to desired length.
Thanks, but I don't have the bullets either (without removing them from a live round). And I'd rather use live rounds for testing than take a chance on getting the dummies out of spec. Good to know about the tubing cutter trick btw.

I really appreciate all the help, there are some really nice folks on here. :drunk2:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also you could simply replicate the size of the round you use by creating a measured dummy round. It's easy and I'd do it if you're round stilly.

Your best bet is to just get yourself a Lee Handloading kit and to simply deactivate and reassemble the round. Best Pawn has one for $50 and the owner is a very nice guy.
Thanks, but I'd rather use live rounds than try to replicate them for dummies.

And I'm nowhere near "Stilly"... we could see Lake Texoma from our rooftop before the neighborhood trees got too tall. :D

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Is this the Federal round you're shooting?

Federal91 (1).jpg
Federal91 (2).jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can pretty much remove the primer in a couple of different ways safely. One is to remove the bullet, fill the round half way with water, and use a punch with the same outside diameter as the inside diameter of the brass, impacting the punch with a hammer to develop hydraulic forces that will pop it right out,(this is how to deprime european berdan primers) or use a punch the same diameter as the flash hole, or depriming tool to gently press it out from the inside. The way a primer is constructed with an internal anvil, it needs to be struck by the firing pin from the outside to generate the pressure that will ignite the primer material. Pressing one out from the inside would not generate the pressure to ignite the primer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom