Repairing a crack with silver solder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K5FAL

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a Colt Commander Series 70 purchased mid 1970’s by my dad and the grip safety has what appears to be a nasty crack in it. Maybe my old man dropped it, who knows?

6i5Oe3.png

So ... I got to thinking... I could jerk this part out of the gun, degrease it, heat the area with a soldering iron, and let silver solder flow into the crack.

What could possibly go wrong??

Finish appears to be satin nickel.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would think it would take major heat to do any good if possible. Have you considered talking to Colt about a replacement part? I have the same firearm with some nickle worn off from EDC, retired it to the safe and replaced it with a SS model. Good luck to you.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Replace it. It looks like a manufacturing/casting flaw. If that was a crack from dropping it, there would be a MAJOR ding somewhere on the grip safety where it hit the ground.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Better to replace it and honestly it shouldn't be that expensive or hard to find. If you really want to try it though you will probably have to use an oven and a small propane torch to do it. Heat the whole thing up in the oven then use the torch to get the solder to really flow. I would then slide it back in the oven and turn the oven off and let it cool down that way. But you will have to get the whole part good and hot to get the solder to flow all the way down into the base of the crack.

Latest posts

Top Bottom