Replacement barrels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve found a few replacement barrels out there, Citerion, Shaw, McGowen, X-Caliber. I’m thinking about upgrading my Savage 111 300wm to something ‘beefier’. Any thoughts from anyone? To be clear, I have zero knowledge about barrels, like the best thickness, twist, etc., I just know the factory barrel seems a bit thin, to say the least.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What will the channel of your existing stock accommodate as far as barrel contour?

Without knowing what bullet weight/manufacturer it's hard to determine barrel twist rate but probably 1:11.5 to 1:10 for the heavies.

I don't know if there is a "best" in terms of thickness. I shoot a MTU profile barrel that's 26" long and I guess you could say it's best in the prone but truly sucks in the offhand. You might look at a medium palma contour

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What will the channel of your existing stock accommodate as far as barrel contour?

Without knowing what bullet weight/manufacturer it's hard to determine barrel twist rate but probably 1:11.5 to 1:10 for the heavies.

I don't know if there is a "best" in terms of thickness. I shoot a MTU profile barrel that's 26" long and I guess you could say it's best in the prone but truly sucks in the offhand. You might look at a medium palma contour
I will be getting a new Boyd to fit to the barrel I get, so I should be open there, for whatever.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually run 1.250" straight tubes 30 to 32 inches long.

Twist rate and number of grooves depends on,cartridge and caliber.

I guess that’s why we see all your builds sitting on tables, 30 pounds is a little much to carry in the field unless it’s from the trunk to the bench

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on how old you are and what your going to shoot at.
When I was 20 I liked long heavy barrels and target stocks for long range target.
Now I'm 62 and I like 16 1/2 inch pencil barrels in light synthetic stock for toting all day hunting.
Same with shotguns at 20 I liked a Browning A5 or Rem 870
Now I want a Franchi al48 in 20 ga for all day bird hunting.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Criterian is a very good barrel. I have used several. Thick didn't necessarily mean more accurate. Concentricity of bore to out side profile is the key. One of the most accurate 308s I own is a 26 " barrel that steps down past the chamber to a .75" straight tapper. It is stupid accurate even when very hot! No wondering, first shot middle of group etc. It doesn't have to be a tractor axel to shoot. I have dropped down to a medium type tapper no matter who makes it. If it has a good name it's gonna shoot! If it don't shoot good right away send it back!

Latest posts

Top Bottom