Replacement for SR 7625

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know a near direct replacement for the recently discontinued SR 7625 powder? Pulling another powder off the burn rate chart isn't necessarily the fix as I am looking for a low burn temperature characteristic too, as 7625 has. My application is 9mm Luger with coated bullet. Other potential replacements, such as TiteGroup and Universal burn too hot; hot enough to melt through the bullet coating on its base.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think the heat is not there long enough to burn the paint off the base.
But you might look at HP38(Hurco), green dot, red dot/Promo, Nitro 100 and AAC #5 or #7, Unique just to name a few.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not think the heat is there long enough either but you never know.

What i have noticed with shooting my .50cal blackpowder rifle is that pillow ticking does not even get burned up all the way and mine has oils on it.

I have used toilet tissue on top of Bullseye powder in my 45acp shot shell reloads to keep the powder away from the lead shot and that does not get burned up all the way either.

If your coating is burning off then it must be burning at a very low temp.. lower than TP
Most NON high spraypaint will take 600 degrees.

Then Ramshot Silhouette i think has low flash or some kind of flash suppressant added this may work if you can find any of it.

Last edited:

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Universal burns hotter than I'd like. I get barrel leading with Hi-Tek coated bullets. No leading with SR 7625.

BE-86 does not produce the accuracy of 7625 or Universal.

Solo 1000 was producing pressure signs too early.

700X was dirty with only fair accuracy.

I experimented with Alliant Extra-Lite. No go as it showed pressure signs beginning at mid-range velocities.

I will try some of the suggested powders mentioned by posters.

Latest posts

Top Bottom