Replacing all AC Power Tools with Battery Powered Tools.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snapshot2022

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I decided to replace all my old AC powered tools with battery powered tools.

I had a De Walt 1/2 Battery Drill but the batteries died quickly and the replacment batteries were costly, then the battery charger caught fire and De Walt gave me a hard time replacing it.

Later when new De Walt battery died i just set the drill at curb with a sign free to be taken and someone took it.

Not a really big fan of both Home Depot and Lowes all their battery tools are high dollar, and i reserched who makes all the battery powered tools sold in the USA at Home Depot and Lowes, and found that one giant Company in China makes about all of them and also the off name brands you find at the other stores.

And they also make the off brand named tools like the Hart and Hyper Tough brands both sold at Walmart.

I have bought a Hart battery Impack 1/2 inch wrench a Hart 1/2 inch battery Hammer Drill a Hart standard brushless 1/2 inch Drill a Hart small impact driver 20 volt also a Hart battery powered hand held Hacksaw and a Hart battery Disk Sander all these are 20 Volt all have so far worked very well.

The 1/2 inch Impact is smaller and with a lot less weight then the major branded ones, and mine can quickly remove tight wheel lug nuts and the bolt's holding my lawn mower blade on, and i torque them to over 150 Lbs.

Also a Hyper tough 6-1/2 Radial hand saw and Hyper Tough small cordless impact driver both 20 volt. Just wanted to test the Hyper Tough battery powered tools some.

All sold at Walmart you have 90 days to return them if they don't work as you want, i have tested them all and have not found any of them to not work well nice thing about Walmart you want to return some thing you don't get 50 questions.

I used to use Dewalt 1/2 inch Drills but their batteries just failed quickly and are costly to replace, had a Dewalt battery charger catch fire and Dewalt gave me a hard time replacing it.

See pictures of my test of the Hart 1/2 inch Hammer Drill.

Now understand i am not implying these Hart and Hyper Tough Battery Tools are built to the same quality of the tools that are designed for comerical service, but they are built IMHO pretty darn close and a lot of comerical people have started using them, as you can just buy another $150 tool if it fails much better then spending another $300 for a so called major brand tool.

Next time your in a Walmart give them a look.

Attachments

• AvantiPro Masonry Drill Test in Brick 04162021.jpg.jpeg
    AvantiPro Masonry Drill Test in Brick 04162021.jpg.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • Stone drilled with Hart 1 2 inch hammer drill 04072021.jpg.jpeg
    Stone drilled with Hart 1 2 inch hammer drill 04072021.jpg.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Hart 1 2 inch Hammer drill 04072021.jpg.jpeg
    Hart 1 2 inch Hammer drill 04072021.jpg.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run all DeWalt, Milwaukee is a good choice too but chargers/batteries are less common which has both advantages and disadvantages at job sites. The batteries and Chargers you had go down were they NiCad or Lithium? I have had good luck with knockoff dewalt batteries and you can open the packs and replace the lithium batteries.

Some tools are best left corded, circular saws for example.

Snapshot2022

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run all DeWalt, Milwaukee is a good choice too but chargers/batteries are less common which has both advantages and disadvantages at job sites. The batteries and Chargers you had go down were they NiCad or Lithium? I have had good luck with knockoff dewalt batteries and you can open the packs and replace the lithium batteries.

Some tools are best left corded, circular saws for example.
My Miller Falls AC Saw i have used for around 50+ years it weighs 20 Pounds and needs to be pluged in, my new Hyper Tough battery 6-1/2 Saw weighs around 6 pounds, hey i am supposed ito be retired "Yeah" your never retired when your required to keep reparing stuff for self and others not retired but know you can be asked nicely to do things.

Now if the job can be done with the smaller 6 pound saw do i want to drag out my 20 pound saw?

Attachments

• Hyper Tough 7-12 Radial Saw.JPG
    Hyper Tough 7-12 Radial Saw.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Miller Falls 6-12 Radial Saw (2).JPG
    Miller Falls 6-12 Radial Saw (2).JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Miller Falls 6-12 Radial Saw (1).JPG
    Miller Falls 6-12 Radial Saw (1).JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All my 18v tools are Ridgid. I register them when I get them and have only had one fail on me and ridgid 2 day shipped me a new version. Same with their batteries, register them and they're covered by Ridgid. I have 4 nicad batts. Have had to have the cells replaced on one. Those nicad batts are over 12 years old too and still work well. I have about 6 lithium batteries and they havnt failed yet and the oldest is 8 years old

I consider the price I paid for them as well spent.

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got sick of all of the battery failures so I replaced all of my Dewalt stuff with Hart. In three years of heavy use,I haven't had a single failure. I have a couple of 1/2" drills, brushless impact driver, circular saw, right angle grinder, sabre saw, flashlight that I actually use, tire inflater, 450 cfm leaf blower, mulching leaf vacuum, weed eater, edger, tiller, chain saw, pole saw, and mulching lawn mower. I probably shouldn't have purchased the lawn mower, since I do pretty much everything with my ztr mower. For me the most used tools are the flashlight, impact driver and leaf blower. The tire inflater developed a horrible knock, but I took it apart and greased everything that moved and the knock was gone when I put it back together. If any of the tools totally quit me, I would replace it with another Hart.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve no issues in DeWalt, used them since they went cordless and tossed all my Craftsman. I think religious battery maintenance and care is the ticket on anything battery powered. I have also bought aftermarket batteries for my 20v collection, Waitley and they are proving to be every bit as factory DeWalts.

Couple mechanic buddys use Milwaukee and swear by them, I have used theirs at their shops and they feel solid and work great. They too keep their batteries charged and in shape.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a mix of older Craftsman and newer Dewalt battery powered tools.
One of the craftsman tools is a little circular saw that has a 5" blade I think it it without going out to the shop to look. It will crosscut a 2X4 but is much better for thin paneling or plywood jobs. Only weighs a pound or so without the battery but it's danged handy at the farm when making repairs on the deer stands.
Craftsman discontinued the 18. something volt batteries, so was getting ready to trash them. A quick search on Amazon showed some knockoff replacements. They work great! Bought three for the price of one of the old craftsman batteries.
When/if any of the Dewalt batteries fail I'll be looking at the knockoffs as well. Much cheaper and higher capacity.
Back when having to use my tools for a living, only bought top of the line because those would stay with you for years with heavy use.
Now being retired, the convenience factor comes into play. Just want to grab a battery powered tool, use it for a second or two and put it up, not have to spend time hooking up an extension cord, and so on.
I don't need top of the line stuff anymore because in reality it's only going to get used a couple hours a year if that.

Snapshot2022

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got sick of all of the battery failures so I replaced all of my Dewalt stuff with Hart. In three years of heavy use,I haven't had a single failure. I have a couple of 1/2" drills, brushless impact driver, circular saw, right angle grinder, sabre saw, flashlight that I actually use, tire inflater, 450 cfm leaf blower, mulching leaf vacuum, weed eater, edger, tiller, chain saw, pole saw, and mulching lawn mower. I probably shouldn't have purchased the lawn mower, since I do pretty much everything with my ztr mower. For me the most used tools are the flashlight, impact driver and leaf blower. The tire inflater developed a horrible knock, but I took it apart and greased everything that moved and the knock was gone when I put it back together. If any of the tools totally quit me, I would replace it with another Hart.
I also have the 450 Hart 40 volt Leaf blower also the large Flashlight and the smaller work lights have a 12 inch 20 volt Hart Chainsaw it’s small just the size I needed as I have two Stihls a cm261 and cm211 getting into Hart tools was the best thing I have done for my needs and plan on buying more of them as needed.

oksportsman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Home Depot Ridgid batteries are guaranteed for life or at least they were when I bout my stuff 3 or so years ago. Brushless motors. Free replacement if a battery fails.

Latest posts

Top Bottom