Replacing reloading kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone/s decided that they needed all my reloading gear, lead, molds, brass, etc. So, I want to get back to loading as factory ammo is nice but being able to shoot more for the same money is even nicer.

I used to load on a single stage, over 30 years experience, even used a friends Dillon 550B before he passed away. I would like something a bit faster than the single stage even though batch loading is not too bad. Money is tight so a Dillon is out, Hornady too. I have heard stories about Lee Progressives.

Now, I have been looking at the Lee Classic Turret Press Kit. Do any pf you guys use this press? Seems to be faster than single stage, not as fast as a true progressive, solid press, decent kit to get started again with with the ability to do pistol and rifle rounds.

Ideas, thoughts, other presses I should look at?
Thanks

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have a single stage, lee classic 4 hole turret and a Dillon on the bench. My go to is the Lee turret. Simply and quick enough for me. The Dillon is a great machine but I have realized I can do 100 round batch just about as fast on the lee

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got some friends loading on a single stage and let one borrow my 4 hole lee turret last week and he said that is the way to go.
He could not get enough of it.

Now you are just in time as lee has ir is going to release this year a new 4 hole press.
Price is very right and i want to get one.. not like I need another press as i have the turret and a pro 1000 for my 45acp and I have done 357 on it also. My single classic cast or turret gets my .223 rounds and all other rifle rounds go into the single stage.
Here is the new press to be released some time this year.

https://leeprecision.com/auto-breech-lock-pro.html

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would go with a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme press. If you get the kit, the price is not bad with a factory discount. The best part is you can always sell it for nearly what you paid.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been reloading since the late 1980s. Up until last spring, I used a single-stage. At one point, I used two single-stage presses, mounted side-by-side, to increase productivity. It worked, to an extent.

I acquired a Lee Classic Turret, put it in use around last April, and absolutely love it.
I don't load thousands of rounds to shoot competition every week. I load hundreds of rounds, and shoot regularly. I can easily load 150+ rds/hr, without rushing, priming on-press.
Caliber changes, with extra turrets, take 30 seconds or less.
Changing from large primers to small takes 10 seconds.

For someone who doesn't load 3000 rounds a week, or doesn't want to drop $600 in a press, I highly recommend the Lee Classic Turret.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got some friends loading on a single stage and let one borrow my 4 hole lee turret last week and he said that is the way to go.
He could not get enough of it.

Now you are just in time as lee has ir is going to release this year a new 4 hole press.
Price is very right and i want to get one.. not like I need another press as i have the turret and a pro 1000 for my 45acp and I have done 357 on it also. My single classic cast or turret gets my .223 rounds and all other rifle rounds go into the single stage.
Here is the new press to be released some time this year.

https://leeprecision.com/auto-breech-lock-pro.html

That new Lee press looks very interesting, I'm glad you mentioned it. I have a classic cast turret that I've used off and on for quite a while now (need to get back into reloading) and I've been happy with it. If I could move to a more progressive setup without having to sell a kidney (looking at you Dillon), I might be persuaded to give up the cash.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Lee Turret and the Lee Loadmaster are very capable presses. I've had a Loadmaster setup for .38 spl for several years and have probably loaded 20k rounds with it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That lee press has some things that will need to be purchased with it .. like shell plate and the breech lock bushings if you plan on changin things out..I think I will stick with my turret from Lee with removable top turret that holds all my dies for that particullar round.
I do not use mine in aoto advance mode I removed the stuff that advances it..I like to turn it myself.
This way i can use it as a single stage if I wish.

Lee products never left me sad I can say that.
So I keep going back to them.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
+1^^^^^ I use a Lee progressive and a Pacific single stage (thanks @lasher). I ordered a Lee Turret last evening to do 458 SOCOM and 300 Win Mag, I like Lee for the cost, but my buddy has a Dillon 550 and that is a NICE rig. Don't think you can go wrong with the Lee, IMHO.

David

Latest posts

Top Bottom