Report: Georgia deputies conduct warrantless search of high school, pat down 900 students

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
banksy.jpg

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since this story is from WAPO. Just how true and accurate do you think it is? Or do you take everything the Washington Post prints as gospel?
When you have as many eyewitnesses as there are in this case, along with the sheriff and school officials themselves confirming the report, it's tough to dismiss the report just because it's from a source we don't like.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since this story is from WAPO. Just how true and accurate do you think it is? Or do you take everything the Washington Post prints as gospel?
WaPo, yes, but check the byline. Radley Balko is solid. Used to write for Reason, among others. I'd trust him further than just about any other reporter in the business.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Update:
The class-action lawsuit — filed on behalf of nine unnamed students — laid out detailed allegations of groping during the school search. One student recounted that a deputy “looked down the back and front” of the student’s dress, then “slid her hands” over her pelvic area and “cupped” the student’s “vaginal area and buttocks,” according to the legal complaint.

Another male student recounted a deputy “moving his fingers back and forth” from his pockets to his groin, the lawsuit stated. The deputy’s fingertips touched the student’s “penis and testicles, over clothes, four to five times.”

A third student recounted how a deputy “reached up under” her shirt, “lifted her bra, and touched her bare breasts, including her nipples.”

In June, when the lawsuit was filed, one of the teenagers recounted his ordeal to The Post. The deputy “came up under my privates and then he grabbed my testicles twice,” the student said. “I wanted to turn around and tell him to stop touching me. I wanted it to be over and I just wanted to call my dad because I knew something wasn’t right.”

Following the outcry, Hobby acknowledged in his April statement that “one of the deputies had exceed the instructions given by the Sheriff and conducted a pat down of some students that was more intrusive than instructed.” The sheriff said “corrective action” was taken — but the office has not publicly offered further detail.

The grand jury this week indicted two deputies along with the sheriff: Tyler Turner faces one felony count of violation of oath of office and one misdemeanor count of sexual battery. Deidra Whiddon was indicted on one count of violation of oath of office.

Local prosecutors also announced this week copies of the indictment would be sent to Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal, who has the legal authority to suspend Hobby. The Journal-Constitution reported the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council has already suspended the law enforcement certifications of Hobby and his deputies.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
http://m.walb.com/walb/db_330714/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=9yeFrGrx
And an ironic twist
2 arrested on drug charges in Worth County
WORTH CO., GA (WALB) - The Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the Poulan Police Department have arrested two individuals during a drug investigation.

The Tift Judicial Circuit District Attorney’s Office requested the GBI’s Sylvester Regional Office to assist the Poulan Police Department on Monday, October 9th.

Earlier on Monday, the Poulan Police Department initiated an investigation involving the distribution of marijuana.

Aaron Ray Short, 20, was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute as well as attempt and conspiracy.

Zackery Lewis Hobby, 17, was arrested and charged with criminal trespass, possession of marijuana with intent to distribute to distribute as well as attempt and conspiracy.

The GBI said Zackery Hobby is the son of Worth County Sheriff Jeff Hobby.

Both Short and Hobby were taken to the Worth County Jail.

The apple fell straight down

Latest posts

Top Bottom