Research undermines medical marijuana claims

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want people to believe what you say and possibly change their minds, you'll have to do more than tell us you "looked it up"......we all know there is as much bogus info out there as there are facts.....post some links to your research.
lol, I've been gathering info for a monite and I'm not going to spend the time to gather it for you.
I do not look at info published by High Times magazine or the likes. Nor do I look at anything backed by law enforcement. Thats where the BS lies. Any study by a university or otherwise credible non biased source is what I look at.
And I have posted links in the past to some of this. Its really not hard to find.
ah hell...here, this took less than a minute to find https://news.unm.edu/news/study-finds-medical-cannabis-is-effective-at-reducing-opioid-addiction

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lol, I've been gathering info for a monite and I'm not going to spend the time to gather it for you.
I do not look at info published by High Times magazine or the likes. Nor do I look at anything backed by law enforcement. Thats where the BS lies. Any study by a university or otherwise credible non biased source is what I look at.
And I have posted links in the past to some of this. Its really not hard to find.
ah hell...here, this took less than a minute to find https://news.unm.edu/news/study-finds-medical-cannabis-is-effective-at-reducing-opioid-addiction
So you had time to look it up, but not to post links? Weaksauce.

Sorry, chief; the burden of proof is on the person making the assertion.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, but the supporters of 788, including those here, have done a terrible job of making your case......if you want voters to support your position, you have to give them a reason.

I laugh when those who want it legalized make the excuse that it isn't as bad or no worse than alcohol so it should be legalized.....we all know the problems alcohol abuse causes. I agree that it's not society's business what you do in your own home, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else, but we all know that's not the way this will go. There is no doubt in my mind that there will be an increase in DUI/DWI if there are more people using it. I'm NOT saying that is enough reason not to legalize it, but supporters make it sound like legalization will result in no additional problems and that is just not true.

I am in favor of changing the federal classification so that real, scientific research can be done to see what it will and won't do. I would love to see clinical trials, like other drugs go through, so we KNOW the potential benefits and the potential side effects. Unfortunately, the profit potential isn't there for drug companies to spend the money for research, that leaves it to the government to fund the research and there isn't much they haven't fouled up.

I have been fighting incurable cancer since 2015, so I may have a different perspective than most....I WANT this drug to be all the supporters claim it is and I am inclined to vote yes..... but, I also believe most supporters of 788 are really just working towards legalizing recreational use and are using 788 as a stepping stone.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of course 788 is a stepping stone lol but it is a good one.
This is about personal freedoms to me. No matter the facts for or against. I want the Government out of my living room. And I voted "yes" strictly on that premise. So you should think of it like that, are you voting for your freedom to choose or voting to keep government regulation in your life?
And just because it becomes legal, doesnt mean there will be an influx of new users.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, but the supporters of 788, including those here, have done a terrible job of making your case......if you want voters to support your position, you have to give them a reason.

I laugh when those who want it legalized make the excuse that it isn't as bad or no worse than alcohol so it should be legalized.....we all know the problems alcohol abuse causes. I agree that it's not society's business what you do in your own home, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else, but we all know that's not the way this will go. There is no doubt in my mind that there will be an increase in DUI/DWI if there are more people using it. I'm NOT saying that is enough reason not to legalize it, but supporters make it sound like legalization will result in no additional problems and that is just not true.

I am in favor of changing the federal classification so that real, scientific research can be done to see what it will and won't do. I would love to see clinical trials, like other drugs go through, so we KNOW the potential benefits and the potential side effects. Unfortunately, the profit potential isn't there for drug companies to spend the money for research, that leaves it to the government to fund the research and there isn't much they haven't fouled up.

I have been fighting incurable cancer since 2015, so I may have a different perspective than most....I WANT this drug to be all the supporters claim it is and I am inclined to vote yes..... but, I also believe most supporters of 788 are really just working towards legalizing recreational use and are using 788 as a stepping stone.

freedom isn't a good enough reasons?

also, until 2012 you couldn't buy cold beer or alcohol on sundays in my town. Everyone swore that DWI/ DUI would go up if that was changed. The mayor told the police chief to 'study' the issue. Guess what the chief found. No where within the state that had changed the law saw any uptick in DWI/DUI. They still had those issues, but simply making those items more available didn't change the overall pattern of behavior.

And in regards to the 'studies', people keep overlooking that there is research going into it. Ole Miss has a federally funded pot farm on campus. The product it has produced has contributed to the creation of Marinol, which shares many similar attributes to MJ (with some drawbacks, as i noted previously).

And finally, what is wrong with using it as a stepping stone? Clearly there is resistance to incremental change already, so the likelihood of full legalization all at once seems unlikely. Back to my example above, one reason we finally got sunday sales passed was because we had previously managed to get them to pass an incremental change that allowed sunday sales for holidays (mother's day, etc) and for sundays after home college football games. Somehow the added tax revenue and the realization that the sky wasn't falling and that we wouldn't be smited from the earth were enough to convince key people that change was okay.

Latest posts

Top Bottom