Research undermines medical marijuana claims

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this an example of your idea of intelligence.....making ridiculously foolish claims???
Not foolish at all.
I'm really over you now. Piece out.

0cb32fbbae91c37d433b50fa02962359.jpg

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First, I'm not your "bro"......Second, this isn't really about "freedom" or any other "noble cause" and never has been, freedom goes way beyond "doing something without getting busted"....this is about getting stoned without consequences.....so, instead of pissing down our backs and telling us it's raining, why not come out and admit that what you really want is to be able to buy and smoke pot recreationally? Is that too difficult??

You guys are barking up the wrong tree and are, apparently, reading things into my posts that I didn't write.

I think it's hypocritical for pot to be illegal while alcohol is legal....I also KNOW that there are consequences to the abuse of both.

Just stop hiding behind 788, stop hiding behind the "it's no worse than alcohol" excuse, stop claiming "it's about freedom", stop claiming it's harmless.......be honest about it.

I am a Christian man and I don’t believe it’s ok for the recreational use of drugs. I also don’t believe that having gay sex is a good idea. I don’t want the government telling anyone what they can do though, as long as it isn’t robbing someone else of life liberty or the pursuit of happiness.

I have a special needs daughter with severe epilepsy. We’ve tried every drug the neurologist could recommend. Limited is the best way I can describe their effectiveness. A few months ago we started her on CBD oil that is already legal in Oklahoma. We went from several large seizures per month down to one minor episode that wasn’t nearly as bad as her larger grand mal types she’s been having. No, CBD hasn’t been a cure, but it’s been the best thing we’ve tried so far.

I don’t appreciate you saying everyone in support of legalizing marijuana is just a junky looking to get high without consequences. I believe in personal freedom for everyone, even if that means they might choose something I wouldn’t. I Want less government intrusion in all of our daily decisions. You can advocate for more if you’d like.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
anybody, really.

but buzzy knows there are consequences, i'm mostly wondering what he thinks those are, and are the worst of them a result of its abuse, or its illicit nature?

Fair question......

This is just one article, there are hundreds out there.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-08/esoc-maw080717.php

"Sophia Antipolis, 9 August 2017: Marijuana use is associated with a three-fold risk of death from hypertension, according to research published today in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology"

"
Marijuana users had a higher risk of dying from hypertension. Compared to non-users, marijuana users had a 3.42-times higher risk of death from hypertension and a 1.04 greater risk for each year of use. There was no association between marijuana use and death from heart disease or cerebrovascular disease."

"She said: "Our results suggest a possible risk of hypertension mortality from marijuana use. This is not surprising since marijuana is known to have a number of effects on the cardiovascular system. Marijuana stimulates the sympathetic nervous system, leading to increases in heart rate, blood pressure and oxygen demand. Emergency rooms have reported cases of angina and heart attacks after marijuana use."

The authors stated that the cardiovascular risk associated with marijuana use may be greater than the cardiovascular risk already established for cigarette smoking.

"We found higher estimated cardiovascular risks associated with marijuana use than cigarette smoking," said Ms Yankey. "This indicates that marijuana use may carry even heavier consequences on the cardiovascular system than that already established for cigarette smoking. However, the number of smokers in our study was small and this needs to be examined in a larger study."

Ms Yankey said: "We found that marijuana users had a greater than three-fold risk of death from hypertension and the risk increased with each additional year of use."

https://cyber.harvard.edu/evidence99/marijuana/Health_1.html

EFFECTS OF HABITUAL MARIJUANA USE ON THE IMMUNE SYSTEM

The most potent argument against the use of marijuana to treat medical disorders is that marijuana may cause the acceleration or aggravation of the very disorders it is being used to treat.

Smoking marijuana regularly (a joint a day) can damage the cells in the bronchial passages which protect the body against inhaled microorganisms and decrease the ability of the immune cells in the lungs to fight off fungi, bacteria, and tumor cells. For patients with already weakened immune systems, this means an increase in the possibility of dangerous pulmonary infections, including pneumonia, which often proves fatal in AIDS patients.

Studies further suggest that marijuana is a general "immunosuppressant" whose degenerative influence extends beyond the respiratory system. Regular smoking has been shown to materially affect the overall ability of the smoker’s body to defend itself against infection by weakening various natural immune mechanisms, including macrophages (a.k.a. "killer cells") and the all-important T-cells. Obviously, this suggests the conclusion, which is well-supported by scientific studies, that the use of marijuana as a medical therapy can and does have a very serious negative effect on patients with pre-existing immune deficits resulting from AIDS, organ transplantation, or cancer chemotherapy, the very conditions for which marijuana has most often been touted and suggested as a treatment. It has also been shown that marijuana use can accelerate the progression of HIV to full-blown AIDS and increase the occurrence of infections and Kaposi’s sarcoma. In addition, patients with weak immune systems will be even less able to defend themselves against the various respiratory cancers and conditions to which consistent marijuana use has been linked, and which are discussed briefly under "Respiratory Illnesses."

In conclusion, it seems that the potential dangers presented by the medical use of marijuana may actually contribute to the dangers of the diseases which it would be used to combat. Therefore, I suggest that marijuana should not be permitted as a therapy, at least until a good deal more conclusive research has been completed concerning its debilitating effect on the immune system.

For more on this topic, please see Donald P. Tashkin, M.D., "Effects of Marijuana on the Lung and Its Immune Defenses," Secretary's Youth Substance Abuse Prevention Intiative: Resource Papers, March 1997, Center for Substance Abuse Prevention. Pages 33-51 of this address can be found at the website of the Indiana Prevention Resource Center at Indiana University, located at
http://www.drugs.indiana.edu/druginfo/tashkin- marijuana.html.

RESPIRATORY ILLNESSES

The main respiratory consequences of smoking marijuana regularly (one joint a day) are pulmonary infections and respiratory cancer, whose connection to marijuana use has been strongly suggested but not conclusively proven. The effects also include chronic bronchitis, impairment in the function of the smaller air passages, inflammation of the lung, the development of potentially pre-cancerous abnormalities in the bronchial lining and lungs, and, as discussed, a reduction in the capabilities of many defensive mechanisms within the lungs.

Marijuana smoke and cigarette smoke contain many of the same toxins, including one which has been identified as a key factor in the promotion of lung cancer. This toxin is found in the tar phase of both, and it should be noted that one joint has four times more tar than a cigarette, which means that the lungs are exposed four-fold to this toxin and others in the tar. It has been concretely established that smoking cigarettes promotes lung cancer (which causes more than 125,000 deaths in the US every year), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (chronic bronchitis and emphysema) and increased incidence of respiratory tract infections. This implies, but does not establish, that smoking marijuana may lead to some of the same results as smoking cigarettes. It is notable that several reports indicate an unexpectedly large proportion ofmarijuana users among cases of lung cancer and cancers of the oral cavity,pharynx, and larynx. Thus, it appears that the use of marijuana as a medicine has the potential to further harm an already ill patient in the same way that taking up regular cigarette smoking would, particularly in light of the fact that those patients for whom marijuana is recommended are already poorly equipped to fight off these infections and diseases.

For more information, please see the Tashkin website mentioned at the end of the section on immune disorders. See also:

MENTAL HEALTH, BRAIN FUNCTION, AND MEMORY

It has been suggested that marijuana is at the root of many mental disorders, including acute toxic psychosis, panic attacks (one of the very conditions it is being used experimentally to treat), flashbacks, delusions, depersonalization, hallucinations, paranoia, depression, and uncontrollable aggressiveness. Marijuana has long been known to trigger attacks of mental illness, such as bipolar (manic-depressive) psychosis and schizophrenia. This connection with mental illness should make health care providers for terminally ill patients and the patients themselves, who may already be suffering from some form of clinical depression, weigh very carefully the pros and cons of adopting a therapeutic course of marijuana.

In the short term, marijuana use impairs perception, judgment, thinking, memory, and learning; memory defects may persist six weeks after last use. Mental disorders connected with marijuana use merit their own category in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) IV, published by the American Psychiatric Association. These include Cannabis Intoxication (consisting of impaired motor coordination, anxiety, impaired judgment, sensation of slowed time, social withdrawal, and often includes perceptual disturbances; Cannabis Intoxication Delirium (memory deficit, disorientation); Cannabis Induced Psychotic Disorder, Delusions; Cannabis Induced Psychotic Disorder, Hallucinations; and Cannabis Induced Anxiety Disorder.

In addition, marijuana use has many indirect effects on health. Its effect on coordination, perception, and judgment means that it causes a number of accidents, vehicular and otherwise.

For further information, you may find the following sites helpful:

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I won't hide behind SQ788, I want THC legalized for medical purposes, at a minimum.

I have a neurological condition that causes tremors, which will only get worse as I age. I tried most of the usual drugs my neurologist had to offer, none of them at the time provided relief. All the drugs had side effects which ranged from "tolerable" to "OMG there's Monsters hiding in my closet". If you don't believe me, try some anti-seizure meds sometime, see if you are able to function normally.

Since my condition wasn't specifically written into the last bill Mattress Mary signed into law, my Dr. couldn't legally let me try any of the Cannabis related meds on the market. Reading that CBD/THC might or might not help my condition, I traveled to Colorado to find out for myself, knowing full well it might just be a scenic trip. During my stay in CO, I tried high quality CBD/low THC oil. While I did notice a little bit of improvement, it didn't provide any more relief than the pharmaceutical drugs. Therefore I ceased using, tossed the remainder and came home.

The opportunity for me to try CBD/THC related drugs was not an option in this state. Had I tried and been found to be in possession of some CBD oil, the overzealous drug enforcement in this state would have prosecuted me for a felony and put me in jail, I have no doubt. And for what? For trying to solve my medical problems with all natural products produced outside of the pharmaceutical industry.

There are documented cases, showcased on the news, where children ARE benefiting from Cannabis related medicine, it's a fact. And if Cannabis related products can help a few, they might help many, if only our Gov't would allow proper research to happen.

If I come down with cancer, I want ALL drugs on the table to discuss with my Dr., not just the ones society deems suitable or unsuitable. Society won't be the ones vomiting in the toilet or writhing in pain, I will.

I have never used MJ, never even had a puff. I have zero desire to use it recreationally. But should I ever come down with a life threatening illness and my symptoms could be relieved by the use of Cannabis, I should have the right to choose what's best for me.

One thing I've noticed from these debates is just how Left some of the people in this state really are, even though they don't realize it. They're all for "freedom", as long their Moral compass isn't disturbed and they stay in the good graces of the vicar on Sunday. Folks don't like cannabis, and therefore it's automatically "bad". Folks would actually deny kids relief from their seizures because legalizing it for medicinal purposes makes them feel uncomfortable.

My, my, my,. the Democratic party also makes decisions using feelings, data and facts be damned...

I'm also proud of this forum for allowing discussion without degrading into a name calling contest. On another forum I visit, there would already have been death threats exchanged and someone's mom would definitely been classified as a "puta" by now. never mind..

In that case, have the next SQ written to require reasonable requirements and not just a "stated need", written like a prescription from a medical doctor who knows you and your needs. "Board Certified physician" just doesn't cut it.

As I've stated here before, I'm not against medical MJ across the board, but SQ 788 is so broad, that it's just not palatable to me. Sorry if that gets stuck in your craw.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t appreciate you saying everyone in support of legalizing marijuana is just a junky looking to get high without consequences. I believe in personal freedom for everyone, even if that means they might choose something I wouldn’t. I Want less government intrusion in all of our daily decisions. You can advocate for more if you’d like.

Didn't say that and don't believe it......please don't take something I wrote out of context. Go back and READ all of my posts and you will find that I WANT the drug to be legal for medical use.

I do believe that the most vocal of the 788 supporters on here want it to pass simply as a stepping stone to get full legalization but won't just come out and admit it.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In that case, have the next SQ written to require reasonable requirements and not just a "stated need", written like a prescription from a medical doctor who knows you and your needs. "Board Certified physician" just doesn't cut it.

As I've stated here before, I'm not against medical MJ across the board, but SQ 788 is so broad, that it's just not palatable to me. Sorry if that gets stuck in your craw.
There will be regulations set by the legislators in a special session once it passees.

Latest posts

Top Bottom