Research undermines medical marijuana claims

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for asking the question.

As I see it, there are two separate issues here, medical use and recreational use.

As I stated early on, I would like to see the drug removed from schedule 1 so that it is easier to research the benefits of it. Since that isn't on the table right now, I don't have a problem with it being available for medical use, through 788, because it has helped some people.

As far as recreational use goes, I think it's hypocritical for weed to be illegal while alcohol remains so. Again, as stated earlier, I do have concerns with the consequences of legalizing the drug, but no greater concern than the consequences of legalized alcohol. So, while I don't think it should be illegal, that doesn't mean I think legalizing it for recreational use is necessarily a great idea. However, I don't believe the lack of responsibility of some should ever be cause for restricting the rights and freedoms of others......that's why, even though I don't think it is necessarily a great idea, I don't think marijuana should be illegal.

As far as the arguing goes.....this is common on a heated topic like this......people often fail to read and understand another's post. Instead of reading and making an effort to understand what the other person is actually saying, they skim over a post, see what they want to see and decide to go to battle. In this instance, I believe some mistook my opposition to the deceitful way in which many are trying to get this passed as being an opponent of the issue......this is certainly not true.

I said in the beginning that I wish there was honesty on both sides of this discussion.

Question 788, as I see it:

On the anti side: people need to honestly ask themselves why this drug should not be legalized for medical use. There should be no greater moral objection to the medical use of marijuana than to the use of aspirin. Both are drugs which, in and of themselves, are inanimate objects and cannot be "bad". Just because some people decided an inanimate item should be illegal does not make it morally wrong. Voting against 788 because marijuana "has always been illegal" is not logical......man decided it was illegal, man can decide it's not illegal.......there is no moral question here.

On the pro side: if supporters, who are really in this for medical uses, want this to pass, they need to distance themselves from those who want to use it as a stepping stone for legalization of recreational use. I believe there are many people who are against this issue because they fear it is just the nose under the tent to legalizing recreational use and they will vote against the measure for that reason only. The pro side needs to convince the general public that it can be regulated so that it is safe and effective and given to those who have a legitimate need. I also think supporters need to better educate the public on the factual medical benefits, as we know them, instead of hype.

For those who are pro 788 because they want to use this as a stepping stone to recreational legalization.....there would be less resistance to 788 if you would pick your own fight......and I think you should.

That's the way I see it......
Seems to me that we all pretty much agree on the same thing then. cool.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those who are pro 788 because they want to use this as a stepping stone to recreational legalization.....there would be less resistance to 788 if you would pick your own fight......and I think you should.
I'd love to see it pass on a clean bill, but that's the reality of politics.

Put it this way: do you think Constitutional Carry would ever have gotten out of committee, let alone passed both chambers, had we not first gone through concealed and open carry?

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd love to see it pass on a clean bill, but that's the reality of politics.

Put it this way: do you think Constitutional Carry would ever have gotten out of committee, let alone passed both chambers, had we not first gone through concealed and open carry?

No sir, I don't.

I understand why those who want recreational use legalized are tagging along with the medical marijuana folks, I just think it hurts the chance of passage of 788.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ever been drunk?
Ever been high?
Which will cause more debilitative actions in a person under those influences?
My money says you have no clue.

Pay up as I have been both drunk and high, and even on things far harder than pot. Back when I was young and stupid I drank and did drugs including hash and coke. Luckily I outgrew it after watching to many friends and family members die or destroy their lives.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've was stationed in Thailand and Vietnam during the sixties and have never used any drugs of any kind except what was prescribed by a physician. Opportunities were there but I enjoyed life too much, that was my high, I didn't need a crutch or anything to 'get high." However, I have seen many marijuana users kicked out of the military and a lot of them were lazy and ineffectual workers and just sort of slouched through the day barely getting by without being written up.
Certain people want the bill passed so they can legally get high and not receive retribution from the courts. But, if they want drugs so badly, they can go downtown on MLK and buy all they want and the chances of them being caught are nil so they can get high without the "bill." The bill just makes it legal to get high and if the people who want MJ for medical reasons want it so badly, they can move to Colorado or some other liberal state if they suspect it will be of some marginal benefit. With all respect due to those that want the bill passed.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've was stationed in Thailand and Vietnam during the sixties and have never used any drugs of any kind except what was prescribed by a physician. Opportunities were there but I enjoyed life too much, that was my high, I didn't need a crutch or anything to 'get high." However, I have seen many marijuana users kicked out of the military and a lot of them were lazy and ineffectual workers and just sort of slouched through the day barely getting by without being written up.
Certain people want the bill passed so they can legally get high and not receive retribution from the courts. But, if they want drugs so badly, they can go downtown on MLK and buy all they want and the chances of them being caught are nil so they can get high without the "bill." The bill just makes it legal to get high and if the people who want MJ for medical reasons want it so badly, they can move to Colorado or some other liberal state if they suspect it will be of some marginal benefit. With all respect due to those that want the bill passed.
So you like it best when the government coddles you... mmmkay

Latest posts

Top Bottom