Response to snarky sellers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was an example but my last experience had no trade values listed. Only had a set price with the option of accepting of trades. I made a legitimate offer and would have gone up $50 on the cash offered.

Another thing I don't necessarily agree with is the concept of "trade value". If I'm selling a rifle, for say $800, and you have a nice 9mm sig valued at $500, and you offer me the sig and $300 cash, I'm going to take that deal most every time. I'm not going to go back to you and tell you your sig only has a "trade value" of $400 so I want $100 more in cash. I generally ignore post that use that ideology.
You used a bad example, or you change the story when a legitimate point is made. Not my problem. Carry on.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You used a bad example, or you change the story when a legitimate point is made. Not my problem. Carry on.
Not sure how that's a bad example. I offered cash and a trade. I was told my "trade value" was $200 below the actual value. That's my point. What's yours?

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my thinking, it's simply, tell me if I'm off.

You have a rifle/pistol for sell for $800. Most likely you'd sell if someone offered you $750 cash. So, instead someone offers you a $500 sig (that you'd like to have) and $250 cash. That seems like a legitimate offer in my book. Am I wrong?

Often the seller comes back and says they won't accept less than the $300 cash. That's fine, and if I really want the rifle/pistol, and $800 is still a fair price, I'll pony up the cash. But don't feed me some crap and tell me my $500 dollar sig is a $350 dollar gun, unless you just don't want it or care for the deal. Better to just say no thanks.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, anyone who buys using all the available sites out there has probably gone through this, but it still frustrates me. Here's the setup:

You see a rifle/pistol that you really want. The seller puts a price out there, usually a bit high, and also says open to trades. Something like $800. You have a rifle/pistol in good shape worth, say worth $500. Your price is based on research, market value and of course what you have in it. You go out and confirm by searching multiple sites and checking the offerings the same as your weapon and come up with a good market value. Say the majority are offered at $550 so you value yours at $500.

You send the seller a good trade offer, your rifle/pistol and $200 cash, for example. You're thinking they may come back and say, "$250 cash and your weapon", which is a good counter offer. Instead the seller responds informing you that your trade offering is worth much less than you think. So they respond with something snarky like this:

"I can find that pistol for $350 all day so I'll trade you your pistol and $450".

Of course after this all I want to do is respond with something really smart ass but usually refrain, but only if I really want the offering. It takes quite a bit to bite my tongue though.

So, how do you guys handle it?

You obviously haven’t ever tried to do any trading at a gunshow. That is the typical dealer response. They want you to give them your weapon and buy theirs at full price. You’re right.... it’s frustrating as hell.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went through a similar situation recently with an eBay seller of a desktop fan I really liked. He had a really high starting bid, and a ridiculous shipping fee, with no takers. I waited till the auction had expired and the fan had been relisted. I researched the particular model of fan and sent him a message asking if he would be including a Make Offer option and calculate exact shipping charges the next time he relisted the fan. His response was rather snippy, along the lines of how it was a rare fan and I wouldn’t find any like it for a long time, and that his shipping charge was in line with the shipment of other heavy items.

I sent him the links to two other current eBay auctions, plus a FS ad from my gf’s Facebook feed, for the same model of fan, and I also sent him screen shots of several eBay shipping charges plus two quotes from shipping companies, all at least half of what he wanted.

His response? “In light of this new data, make me an offer.”

I didn’t.
People like that aren't out to make a "fair deal". They want to find a "Sucker".

Thats 90% of the people on Armslist. If they wait long enough, they'll find a dumb*** to buy.

Sellers seem to think that "What they have in it" doesn't depreciate too

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thing that gets me is
(Custom Ar's) Ok the fact that you activated a receiver with a hodge podge of parts does not grant it custom status. With Anderson lowers costing 30.00 bucks and you putting a Chinese float rail on does not create a 1000.00 (custom)

Its funny, you see people asking $600 for a $300 kit slapped on a $30 receiver.

Latest posts

Top Bottom