Restricted! LEO/Government ONLY magazine!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought this Glock 23 magazine today and it says it's only for the police or something. What's so special about it? If I had to guess, I'd say it's from waaay back during the AWB and only the police were allowed to have >10 rounds.... or were even the police affected by it? Old mag for an old gun, works I guess.

special gubment mag.jpg

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That magazine was meant for LE/Military use only. It was a part of the 94/04 AWB. During that ban, any person not LE/Military in possession of one could be charged with a felony. The date is on the magazine to show it was manufactured 9-13-94. As an officer back then if I wanted to purchase one with my own funds, I had to have a letter signed by my police chief.

When the AWB expired in 04, so did the capacity requirements. Some of the states made that restriction part of their state law and are now lovingly referred to as “ban states” where such evil things can not be purchased or possessed.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That magazine was meant for LE/Military use only. It was a part of the 94/04 AWB. During that ban, any person not LE/Military in possession of one could be charged with a felony. The date is on the magazine to show it was manufactured 9-13-94. As an officer back then if I wanted to purchase one with my own funds, I had to have a letter signed by my police chief.

When the AWB expired in 04, so did the capacity requirements. Some of the states made that restriction part of their state law and are now lovingly referred to as “ban states” where such evil things can not be purchased or possessed.

Figured it was something along those lines. Was still in diapers when it was manufactured. Gonna take it out next weekend to see if it still works right.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you feel uneasy owning it, send it to me and I'll swap you a gen3 15 rounder without the LE markings for it.

Oops! I just noticed it's a G23 mag. The only .40 I have is a G22. Sorry, can't use it. :sorry1:

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Along with the LEO only WTF is up with the ammo for LEO only?
Some sort of magical bullet or something? I've looked up the specs on it, and it's typically loaded at the same velocity and sometimes has the same bullet anyone can buy to reload with.
Go to the bigger gun/ammo shops in OKC and they will ask for your CLEET card if you try to buy some.

b3753cee8c7252b3bca4e697cbe13c2d.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did find this after an internet search, dated 2003 to the same question.
"The ammo is police so the manufacturers don't have to pay the sporting goods excise tax on it. The Pittman-Robertson tax is applied to firearms, archery equipment, and ammunition. IIRC it is around 15%. Knocking 15% of the cost of ammo is significant."

I don't know if that statement ^^^^^is correct or not as I haven't got around to pricing it.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
11%, but close enough. I don't know anything about the tax avoidance by law enforcement, though; if that were the case, it would seem like it would only apply to departmental purchases, not personal purchases.

Latest posts

Top Bottom