Review-ish Storytime: The Frankford Arsenal Tumbler Testing Story

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've tried every which way, with vibratory and feel confident in saying that the wet blew away the cleanest and shiniest I could ever hope to achieve with it. The biggest but is that I'd never use wet for small batches. Way too much time and setup. If I'm not doing a large run of multiple types where I can make it worth it I'm happy settling for "clean but not as shiny"
I agree. Any clean finish on a case is going to work just as fine as any bright shiny case. I think it's just a personal preference to get them shiny enough to see our ugly mugs in the reflection off the case and think we really did a great job.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the cases, I don't think it was ejection marring. I could rotate them around and they all were kind of at the same spot. More likely than anything, the shell plate #5 that is one there is cut really tight. And while Dillon may say it's the same, and ship it the same if you order a 40S&W kit, it's probably not as good for 40 as the "W" plate that is designated for 40. At this point with all my 40 done for a while I suppose that I can take some time to find one cheap on the eBay or something to test this theory the next time I run a batch.
Same issue with the Hornady LNL progressive. The original factory direction was to use the 45 plate for .45acp. After lots of customers came back with complaints they built a new #1 plate specifically for the . 45.
The 45 plates were just a tad too tight for rounds that had been fired multiple times when sizing didn't reach into the rimless base.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing I should probably add to the story, is that I did reach out to Dillion regarding the broken part and shell issue. Basically, they replied back and said "No worries, parts are on the way for that part. We do recommend the "W" plate for the 40 issues you're having". So it was definitely a positive experience with the Dillon "No BS" warranty and about what I expected to hear on the plate.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The ease of buying

Yea I have money but hate to let go of it on myself and almost refuse to do so if I have stuff laying around the yard that will work with a little effort tossed in.

I did finally toss the 1/2 gallon of bent used rusty nails but only because I have many boxes of straight ones that I may never finish using before I croak.

But I have straightened a bunch of nails to reuse them.

You know what cuts good?
Serrated cutting edge on a food processor. I was cleaning one a bit ago after making a bunch of jam and canned nectarines.
Yeow!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know what cuts good?
Serrated cutting edge on a food processor. I was cleaning one a bit ago after making a bunch of jam and canned nectarines.
Yeow!
I could call you a mentally deficient derogatory name for this but in knowing you, you have already issued the title to yourself and my repeating it would do no good other than to reinforce said nomenclature and make me snicker a bit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom