Review of S&W Model 57

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a review of the Smith & Wesson Model 57 revolver. It is a 41 Magnum blue steel N-frame with an 8 3/8" barrel. I acquired the handgun in early February and have not been able to shoot it due to the ammo shortage.

Here is a picture.

s10.postimg.org_hihjpn709_20131209_152425.jpg

Well, I finally got to shoot it today, using 60 rounds of M&M (Mild and Mellow). I went down to Okie City yesterday, and picked 1000 of the old Police loads. The loader (JD Outfitters in case anyone is interested) seems to have done a superb job, with all of the rounds going 'bang' and I did my part, hitting the target every time.

I just got back from my range and the 57 is soaking in the Outers equivalent of Hoppe's No. 9 as I type this. The gun was an absolute joy to shoot, and at the typical self-defense ranges had more than sufficient accuracy. All shooting was done DA, and recoil was very manageable. The load was the old Police load as I said earlier and consisted of a 215 gr hard-cast LSWC at about 850-900 fps. With the N-frame and the long barrel, the revolver soaked up a lot of the recoil, and made fast follow-up shots fairly easy. It should be noted that all I shot today was the M&M and not what a fellow poster on the Kansas forum refers to as 'gorilla-killas'. I have a couple of boxes of them (Winchester 175 gr Silvertips) and I'll wait to shoot them until I have gotten somewhat more used to the gun.

Now, obviously this would not the ideal gun for concealed carry. Unless you are Richard Kiel, it is too damned big for that. But it would be a very good gun for hunting and for home defense it would also be very well-suited.

And it is, above all else, a fun gun to shoot

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I almost bought a model 57 a few years ago when I bought my model 29 I had. I think it was a 6 incher.

I have my share of Model 29's and 629's as well. This is the only 41 I have, although I'd like to get a Model 58. Yeah, I know; dream on. Although S&W did at one time list the 58 as one of their classic revolvers that they were thinking of bringing back. That is something that I'd really like to see happen. However, when I asked them about it they said they had no plans to produce it and the 58 was removed from the website soon after. :(

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always heard good things about the .41 Mag but have never had the opportunity to fire anything in that caliber. A few years ago a pawnshop in Broken Arrow had a Winchester lever in .41 Mag. Thinking now I should have brought it home.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom