Review of S&W Model 57

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, if you want or have any revolver in .41 mag, you need to reload. .41 ammo has always been overpriced and relatively hard to find. Even a Lee hand loader would work fine, at least until you go nutz with the process.

My 6" 657 is easily the most accurate 50 yd CF handgun I own. Weight, crisp SA trigger and big clear sights help.
JD Outfitters in Okie City does custom reloading as well. Jerry did a batch of 1000 of the old Police loads in 41 for me and they seem to be pretty good rounds.

OT, but this reminds me; when the weather clears up, I really need to go out and shoot some more. I have an almost-new '1917' (made in the 2000's) that I have to function-fire, as it has had some issues in the past with very spotty ignition. One gunsmith seems to not have followed my instructions so I went to another gunsmith and he stuck with it until the problems were cleared up.

Guess which 'smith I'll never use again.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's really to bad that the .41 never caught on better than it did. To me the .41 is the Goldilocks of the original three magnums, and I always prefered the police load as the do anything load for her. Throwing a 210gr to 240gr slug at 900fps to 1000fps will take care of just about anything that needs shooting regardless of platform ( SW57, SW58, or Ruger's Blackhawk an Redhawk). I was hooked on the .41mag back in the late 70's up into the late 90's, but had to let my Blackhawk and Marlin go, as I was doing more shooting with my .44 Special's.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the NYSP Model 520

img.photobucket.com_albums_v631_shootit_Hobby_20File_smith_20and_20wesson_2022_38_P1000872.jpg

They are truly beautiful revolvers. This one looks as though it hasn't even been out of the box.

Latest posts

Top Bottom